• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

military spouse unemployment benefits denied

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kim4him2

What is the name of your state? Virginia I was denied benefits because I voluntarily had to give up my job because my husband got transferred. His transfer is from Virginia to Florida and there is no way I can commute back and forth and no way I can support myself. It was not my choice to move to Florida. It was Uncle Sam's and I feel that the spouse who gives up a job for their military spouse deserves to receive benefits. California and Florida accepts it. I havent checked all states, but it is unfairl. That Nexstep program in Virginia could not help because, I was working a seasonal job at the time I spoke to them. I am sending a letter to Virginia for an appeal, but I need an answer to help me.
Thank you
Kim T.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Although there is a small handful of states that do, there are actually very few states that will provide unemployment benefits to someone who quits to follow a spouse beyond commuting distance. Your husband's military status does not automatically change the law for you. Military spouses are not exempt.

Fair or unfair, if your state does not allow benefits for that reason, you will not receive benefits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">