• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hurricane Charley - Fallen Trees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pressen

What is the name of your state? Florida

Four of my neighbor's trees were blown over on to my property by Charley. The area is wooded and thick with vegetation making it hard to walk through, work in or determine the exact location of the property line.

Three of his trees fell together and are resting against one of my large trees. The problem is that his trees are not completely down and represent a potential hazard for people or pets walking in the area. There is no threat to any structures. It is also hard to estimate how much of the trees will actually end up on my property when they are felled. A guess would be around one third. If they were completely down, I would go ahead and cut up the parts resting on my property and haul them away myself. As they now stand, it is too dangerous for me to try to do that. One tree did fall completely to the ground and I have already removed the portion that I think was on my property. That tree was not a threat to anyone.

My question is, who is responsible for removing the three trees that are still propped up and dangerous?

My neighbor owns a business enjoying a boom because of the hurricane and he is so busy that his fallen trees may not get on his radar for weeks (he has others down besides the four that are a problem for me). Second, he has never been quick to attend to his yard, in general. So, I cut the portions I could for those reasons and because I wanted to get them to the curb in order to take advantage of the free storm cleanup being offered by the county. Free removal will be available through 9/15/04, and it might get extended beyond that. That raises the potential problem of other costs if the remaining trees are not removed in time to be hauled away free, no matter who is responsible.

Informal opinions that I have received seem to indicate that I am responsible. That's scary because the number of my neighbor's trees that could have fallen on my property might have been many, many more! So because of the luck of the draw, or in this case, the direction of the 100 MPH winds, I'm expected to spend a small fortune in clean up costs simply because my neighbor has lots of trees? That doesn't seem fair. He owns and enjoys his trees, but I pay now that they are partially on my property. Does that seem right?

rmet4nzkx

In the normal course of events, you could trim anything that crosses your property line, however this is an extraordinary event. You might want to check with your/his homeowners policy if you have coverage for tree removal under these circumstances. You might want to mark your property line so it is visable and no mistake where the trees were rooted and felled. Call your local city government and inquire the ordinances regrading the removal of dangerous trees etc. and have an inspector out, that may clarify the situation for you better than we can here. Do you have a fireplace? :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">