• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copyright Penalties for specific state (New Jersey)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

First Class

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

i own a publishing business in which college students are my main clientelle.
what is the penalty for illegally copying or duplicating my intellectual copyrighted property?

divgradcurl

First off, all copyrights are Federal, so it really doesn't matter what state you are in -- copyrights are federal law.

what is the penalty for illegally copying or duplicating my intellectual copyrighted property?
There isn't any automatic "penalty." In general, if someone if found to have infringed upon your copyright, you will have to take it upon yourself to sue them in court. What you can recover will depend at least in part on whether or not you registered your copyrights with the U.S. copyright office. If the copyrights are unregistered, the most you can recover is "actual" damages -- that is, the amount of damage you can prove you suffered due to the infringing activity.

If you have registered the copyrights prior to the occurence of the infringing activity, then you may be able to sue for injunctive relief or statutory damages in addition to or in place of actual damages.

However, as noted above, there is no automatic enforcement of copyrights. You need to enforce the copyrights yourself through the civil legal system.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">