• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Crafty n' laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mskaren

What is the name of your state?North Carolina
Hi, My husband and I have has some past marital fights. Nothing too serious. My nosey n' laws love to stay right in the middle of our marraige. My husband has never cut the apron strings because of money. My husband and I sold our trailer last year and needed to sign the deed over to the new owners at our lawyers(also my n' laws lawyer) My husband told me that my n' laws were gonna slip in aonther document relieving me of all spousal rights if we had a divorce. They are so crafty and dishonest. My husband did not want that to happen. We did however have to go sign the paper around 4 times. The paralegal kept saying she kept getting the wrong paper. How can i find out if i signed something like this?

Please help!
Thanks

HomeGuru

mskaren said:
Hi, My husband and I have has some past marital fights. Nothing too serious. My nosey n' laws love to stay right in the middle of our marraige. My husband has never cut the apron strings because of money. My husband and I sold our trailer last year and needed to sign the deed over to the new owners at our lawyers(also my n' laws lawyer) My husband told me that my n' laws were gonna slip in aonther document relieving me of all spousal rights if we had a divorce. They are so crafty and dishonest. My husband did not want that to happen. We did however have to go sign the paper around 4 times. The paralegal kept saying she kept getting the wrong paper. How can i find out if i signed something like this?

Please help!
Thanks
**A: please revise your post using proper spelling and grammar.

T

Tired_of_trying

mskaren said:

Please help!
Thanks
You can go to the county clerk and ask to see the file on your matter.Hopefully you have some document with the case number so they do not charge you to search for it. If you do not, you have to give them names and DOB's ,they can search to find it, sometimes SSN's but those are confidential now where I am.
I am not sure if you are talking about a divorce, which would be family law, or a civil matter, still you need to go to the proper court in the county where you and he lived at the time, hopefully a court clerk will be nicer than some... They wil have your documents and provide you copies, for a fee. SOme states and counties have what is called public access online, and you can find and go the the site online and see your documents without having to go into the courthouse, but you will have to do searched to find that out.

you can also contact the paralegal, you were a signee and a client, she HAs to provide you with conformed copies of what you signed if you request such... if not she is being unethical.

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Tired_of_trying said:
you can also contact the paralegal, you were a signee and a client, she HAs to provide you with conformed copies of what you signed if you request such... if not she is being unethical.

My response:

What a load of bullsh!t. Who the hell dropped you on your head?

Our writer isn't entitled to copies of anything from the "paralegal" or the "attorney". All because she signed some papers in the attorney's office, doesn't make her a "client". The "in-laws" are the clients, and the attorney does THEIR bidding, and not for our writer.

The attorney's office MIGHT give our writer copies of the papers, but there is no legal or ethical requirement to do so. So, if the attorney's office refuses our writer's request, then there's nothing she can do.

Our writer's best choice was to ask for copies at the time of signing ANYTHING. If she failed to do that AT THE TIME, then she just may be out of luck.

Geez, stop writing out of your ass, will you?

IAAL

rmet4nzkx

I have read your other posts and it seems that you may have gotten yourself in a compromised position because of some of your activities with check and credit card fraud. You say you and your husband are still married and not planing on divorce, that you don't have good relations with your in-laws, that they are pushing for divorce and that your husband controls all the money. You make several statements that suggest there is more to this picture. Are you being abused? If so then please call your local domestic violence group for help and referals,
NCCADV
115 Market Street
Suite 400
Durham, NC 27701
Phone: 919.956.9124
FAX: 919.682.1449
Toll Free:
1-888-232-9124

As to selling the trailer and signing the deed and "extra papers" in the attorney's office and your belief that they could be something to do with taking away your rights if there was a divorce and you insist that your husband doesn't want that. Several things are possible, first of all you should always read everything before you sign and get a copy before you leave. The first thing to do is to call the attorney's office and ask for your copies of the papers signed including the wrong ones, you must have inadvertantly left without them, they should have copies of them. Hopefully they will provide them without a problem. Then see what you signed. Perhaps they sliped in a "Pre nup"? There are other possibilities for which you may need to check online or visit the courthouse.

Your state does have some legal options for divorce which may include an affidivit essentially stating that you and your spouse lived apart for at least one year which could cause an absolute divorce decree to be isued, this is separate from other parts of a divorce such as child and support issues. If that happened and no decree is issued, there may be time to counter it but you will need an attoreny, a different attorney.
Divorce Law
Divorce and Separation in NC - pamphlet provided by the North Carolina Bar Association
The residency requirement is 6 months. There are only two grounds for divorce in North Carolina: one-year separation and incurable insanity. For a one-year separation you must assert, under oath, that you and your spouse have lived separate and apart for one year. You must live in separate residences during that year. You do not need to file any papers to document the beginning of your separation; your assertion is sufficient to prove that the year has elapsed. The second ground for divorce in North Carolina is incurable insanity. This ground is rarely used

Here is more:
Simplified divorce procedure
If the parties are seeking a divorce based upon the parties having lived separate and apart without cohabitation for a period of at least one year, and the parties have agreed to all terms of the divorce, leaving no issues to be decided by the court, the court may grant the divorce, finding all requisite facts from nontestimonial evidence presented by affidavit, verified motion or other verified pleading. It shall not be necessary to allege in the complaint that the grounds for divorce have existed for at least six months prior to the filing of the complaint.

A party seeking to obtain a divorce under this provision may, at any time after the expiration of 30 days from the commencement of the action or after service of a motion for summary judgment by the adverse party, move with or without supporting affidavits for a summary judgment in his favor upon all or any part thereof. The motion shall be served at least 10 days before the time fixed for the hearing. The adverse party may serve opposing affidavits at least two days before the hearing. If the opposing affidavit is not served on the other parties at least two days before the hearing on the motion, the court may continue the matter for a reasonable period to allow the responding party to prepare a response, proceed with the matter without considering the untimely served affidavit, or take such other action as the ends of justice require. For the purpose of this two-day requirement only, service shall mean personal delivery, facsimile transmission, or other means such that the party actually receives the affidavit within the required time. The judgment sought shall be rendered forthwith if the pleadings, depositions, answers to interrogatories, and admissions on file, together with the affidavits, if any, show that there is no genuine issue as to any material fact and that any party is entitled to a judgment as a matter of law.

Supporting and opposing affidavits shall be made on personal knowledge, shall set forth such facts as would be admissible in evidence, and shall show affirmatively that the affiant is competent to testify to the matters stated therein. Sworn or certified copies of all papers or parts thereof referred to in an affidavit shall be attached thereto or served therewith. The court may permit affidavits to be supplemented or opposed by depositions, answers to interrogatories, or further affidavits. When a motion for summary judgment is made and supported as provided in this rule, an adverse party may not rest upon the mere allegations or denials of his pleading, but his response, by affidavits or as otherwise provided in this rule, must set forth specific facts showing that there is a genuine issue for trial. If he does not so respond, summary judgment, if appropriate, shall be entered against him. 50-10, G.S..1A-1, Rule 56

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">