• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

robisa

What is the name of your state? California

My daughter was entered into a cell phone contract when she was a teenager, approximately 15yrs-16yrs. old. My husband and I had no knowledge of this incident.

She's now 22 a senior in college and doing very well. She just completed an internship for a major music chanel in NY and have an opportunity for employment.

When she was in NY my husband and I recieved an order to appear as a third party which states that we have real estate holdings for our daughter. My husband and I are homeowners but we owe a large mortgage..

The judgment is @2552.81 plus accured interest.

My daughter said that she had documents that cleared her of the obligation and of course she can't locate them. Also she doesn't remember anything about the contract she signed. My court date is 9/3. I need help.

This may ruin her opportunity for employment.

What is my daughter's obligation since she was under age to sign a contract. Also, what is my husband's and my obligation since we're her parents.

Thank You

Last edited:

JETX

robisa said:
What is my daughter's obligation since she was under age to sign a contract.
As a minor, she had the right to rescind the contract up and until she became an adult. However, if she didn't rescind within that time, and in fact, reaffirmed the contract by receiving benefit or use of the product as an adult, then the contract would be valid and enforceable.

Also, what is my husband's and my obligation since we're her parents.
Same scenario.... you have NO obligation (unless you co-signed) for the contract that your daughter entered into (or affirmed) as an adult.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">