• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking lot accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kadd

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Georgia
As I was backing out of a parking space, I hit a car that was moving past me. There was no damage to my car at all. At first, the other driver said there was no damage to hers either, but then she said there was a dent behind her driver's door. The dent seems rather large to have been caused by a low speed impact with no paint exchange and I am wonder why she didn't immediately notice such a dent. She called her insurance company and they amazingly did not recommend getting the police involved. We exchanged info, and agreed that she would contact me with estimates.

However, after I left, I began wondering if the damage could have occurred previously. Should I bite the bullet and pay for damage I might not have caused, or could some kind of investigation still be helpful (i.e. measure height of dent on her car and compare to mine or a check the age of the damage by someone with expertice)?

Happy Trails

kadd said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Georgia
As I was backing out of a parking space, I hit a car that was moving past me. There was no damage to my car at all. At first, the other driver said there was no damage to hers either, but then she said there was a dent behind her driver's door. The dent seems rather large to have been caused by a low speed impact with no paint exchange and I am wonder why she didn't immediately notice such a dent. She called her insurance company and they amazingly did not recommend getting the police involved. We exchanged info, and agreed that she would contact me with estimates.

However, after I left, I began wondering if the damage could have occurred previously. Should I bite the bullet and pay for damage I might not have caused, or could some kind of investigation still be helpful (i.e. measure height of dent on her car and compare to mine or a check the age of the damage by someone with expertice)?
**Didn't you examine her car?

K

kadd

Happy Trails said:
**Didn't you examine her car?
Not closely. Actually, I was too worried about the vehicle that I was driving (i.e. my husband's car). I kept looking for some sign of damage but couldn't find a scratch. Furthermore, because my reflex reaction was to immediately pull back into the parking space upon impact, it was difficult to be certain if my car's bumper was at the right height/angle to cause her damage.

Happy Trails

kadd said:
Not closely. Actually, I was too worried about the vehicle that I was driving (i.e. my husband's car). I kept looking for some sign of damage but couldn't find a scratch. Furthermore, because my reflex reaction was to immediately pull back into the parking space upon impact, it was difficult to be certain if my car's bumper was at the right height/angle to cause her damage.
**Yeah, I know what you mean. I was in the same situation except I was the person backed into. She insisted she didn't hit me, but everyone in the parking lot heard it and came over. I couldn't find any damage right at the moment, I thought perhaps she just hit my tire. When I got home, my husband looked at it and found it right away, on the lower back quarter panel. Blended right in. I got in trouble for not collecting her insurance information.

**If you think you did it. It is probably is easier than fighting over the whole deal. How much money is she talking about?

K

kadd

The incident just occurred today so I don't have estimates from the other driver yet, but I was trying to determine the best approach when I am contacted. My guess is around 500 for her repairs. As I've read on other posts, I will demand she sign a release for future claims on this matter.

If the estimate for repair is well above what I have anticipated, then I will consider negotiating a settlement. Can I offer to pay half of the damages without implying full fault that would result in a loss of any potential civil action?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">