• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Age of consent "trust relationship"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bobjohnson123

What is the name of your state? NJ

HOMEWORK

Ok we are doing some homework on some sex crime laws, such as age of consent (which varies from state to state ) stat. rape laws, etc..

I am lost when its says, a relationship of trust, like teachers and cops and such fine... but what about say a black belt in his mid 20's (who is not an instructor) and another student? who is 16 and what if the black belt was an instructor... are these basis for a trust relationship, or a situtation of authority?

We know that if your a school teacher, then yes it consist of a trust relationship or if your say a police officer, but we are lost at this case sample, please help

Last edited:

HomeGuru

bobjohnson123 said:
What is the name of your state? NJ

HOMEWORK

Ok we are doing some homework on some sex crime laws, such as age of consent (which varies from state to state ) stat. rape laws, etc..

I am lost when its says, a relationship of trust, like teachers and cops and such fine... but what about say a black belt in his mid 20's (who is not an instructor) and another student? who is 16 and what if the black belt was an instructor... are these basis for a trust relationship, or a situtation of authority?

We know that if your a school teacher, then yes it consist of a trust relationship or if your say a police officer, but we are lost at this case sample, please help
**A: yes and yes.

bobjohnson123

Really I didnt think so??

scenario b...

They did not have sexual contact, however haved kissed and been seeing each other. Is this grounds for being charged?

ptlmejo

Took me awhile to find the statue, but I finally did...I assume this is the definintion that you're referring to:
(b)The actor has supervisory or disciplinary power over the victim by virtue of the actor's legal, professional, or occupational status, or
Assuming that we're dealing with NJ law here, your original post was:
For your first question of you have a 20 y/o student and a 16 y/o student, I would say there is no trust relationship established here.

For the second part of the question relating to having a 20 y/o instructor and a 16 y/o student, this will come down to a matter of interpretation. I would say it is not a trust relationship based upon the fact that the attendance to this class would be free and voluntary and the instructor would not have any supervisory or disciplinary power over the student because of the voluntary attendance, however, others may disagree with my logic.

As for the question in the new post...the statue definintion reads:
d. "Sexual contact" means an intentional touching by the victim or actor, either directly or through clothing, of the victim's or actor's intimate parts for the purpose of degrading or humiliating the victim or sexually arousing or sexually gratifying the actor. Sexual contact of the actor with himself must be in view of the victim whom the actor knows to be present;

e. "Intimate parts" means the following body parts: sexual organs, genital area, anal area, inner thigh, groin, buttock or breast of a person;
Here, lips, mouth, etc, are not defined as intimate parts, therefore, no, it would not be a crime.

Last edited:

bobjohnson123

Wow that is awesome reply!!

You should do my homework...HaHaHa

For your first question of you have a 20 y/o student and a 16 y/o student, I would say there is no trust relationship established here.
I did not think so either...

For the second part of the question relating to having a 20 y/o instructor and a 16 y/o student, this will come down to a matter of interpretation. I would say it is not a trust relationship based upon the fact that the attendance to this class would be free and voluntary and the instructor would not have any supervisory or disciplinary power over the student because of the voluntary attendance
I believe it is not a trust relationship because it is also a voluntary attendance and not in a school enviroment!

Any other thoughts on this??

P.S. Thanks

L

ljr

"Trust relationship aside," what about statutory rape laws? Delinquency of a minor? Is this really a hypothetical, homework situation?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">