• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neurontin class action?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ren225

I have been seeing some information on the web about a class action suit in regards to using neurontin and suicide or attempts. Can anyone give more specific information on this?

ellencee

The class action suit(s) is about more than that. Apparently, the manufacturer's sales did not meet projected and anticipated goals, so the 'salespersons' misled physicians and the public about therapeutic benefits for conditions other than those for which neurontin was developed and approved for use/sales. Some rather severe problems developed in certain patients. In other patients, the costs of neurontin was far more than the costs of a medication suited for their conditions. Thus, there are several aspects to class actions suits against the manufacturers. If you were prescribed neurontin at any time, you have the right to submit your information to the attorneys for the class action suit(s).
EC

T

Tired_of_trying

okay, some minds think alike as I posted mine right before this one, being:
CA

My father took the maximum level of Neurontin for many years. One day he suffered a Grand Mal seizure while driving; two people, including my step mother died and other were injured. Needless to say he was sued, mainly by his own step children who knew of his condition, for wrongful deaths.

Now he is seeing these TV ads regarding the drug and his mind is racing.

Is anyone willing to tell me facts regarding this so I know which way to point my father? I do not want him to get his hopes up of getting money back (he settled the lawsuit for 250,000.00 to avoid trial and every other defendant won the case)
anyhow, he is near 70 and at time, feeble minded due to all the seizures and brain damage, but at times quite livid, it is those livid times I have to deal with about this, and any actual information or contact would be MOST appreciated.

Thank you kindly
D

So, are you saying even though dad took the drug for seizures, he has a case?

Last edited:

ellencee

Tired_of_trying
If you do a web search for Neurontin, you will find several law firms willing to evaluate claims of inappropriate (off-label) prescribing (not an MD error; manufacturer intentional misinformation) and claims of serious side-effects. It is possible that your father has a valid claim of a serious side-effect because Neurontin was a new drug and was without longterm studies for longterm usage side-effects. I'm not suggesting that indeed your father has a valid claim, but I am suggesting 'why not give it a try?'

I have to add that in your father's circumstance, it may be that he should not have been driving due to his history of having a seizure disorder and it may be that by not disclosing his condition to the licensing agency, his license was obtained in an illegal manner. If either is true, he may have no claim against the manufacturer's of Neurontin.

EC

rmet4nzkx

ren225 said:
I have been seeing some information on the web about a class action suit in regards to using neurontin and suicide or attempts. Can anyone give more specific information on this?
In addition to what Ellen said, talk to your SSDI attorney before pursuing this as it may affect your SSDI case. Also, the main thrust of this class action is the Manner of the off label use of this Rx, that could include who perscribes it and for what, did the doctor perdcribe it because a drug rep encouraged it for, bi=polar or was it perscribed because anti-seizure Rx are frequently perscribed when traditional Rx like lithium fail and you were not responding? Was your doctor trying other different Rx in an attempt to find one that worked, which may be dificult with the disorder we discussed which also has a higher risk of suicide attempts. All of this could affect your SSDI case, so be sure to discuss it before taking any action.

rmet4nzkx

Tired_of_trying said:
My father took the maximum level of Neurontin for many years. One day he suffered a Grand Mal seizure while driving; two people, including my step mother died and other were injured. Needless to say he was sued, mainly by his own step children who knew of his condition, for wrongful deaths.....Is anyone willing to tell me facts regarding this so I know which way to point my father? I do not want him to get his hopes up of getting money back (he settled the lawsuit for 250,000.00 to avoid trial and every other defendant won the case) anyhow, he is near 70 and at time, feeble minded due to all the seizures and brain damage, but at times quite livid, it is those livid times I have to deal with about this, and any actual information or contact would be MOST appreciated.

So, are you saying even though dad took the drug for seizures, he has a case?
In addition to what Ellen said, to your last question, Neurontin is a Rx for a seizure disorder, the class action suit is for off label use. Your father's history suggests an uncontrolled seizure disorder and the cognitive deficits with age not incommon. Was his Rx therapy augmented with a Rx like Kepra? Was he having seizures and not telling his doctor so his license wasn't pulled or having seizures of which he was not aware, sometimes you might observe off behavior or lapses in normal attention, these can be more silent seizures. While there may be other issues, his history will become an issue. Anti seizure Rx while a God send for those with seizure disorders are not without their side effects. That fact and that you father had such a serious accident while driving raises other questions about how his seizure disorder was managed and how compliant he was, while at the same time the victims of his seizure while driving also knowing his history of a seizure raises some quesitons, I take it his insurance covered his out of court settlement? I also take it his driver's license has been pulled? If he consults re the class action suit he may not fit into that category but possibly another a different one.

R

ren225

question for rmet

In the late 90's it was suggested by my phsycologist that my pcp put me on Neurontin and Depakote due to a bi-polar condition. I was on both these meds about 3 months for bi-polar. I did have a suicide attempt and used about 80 pills of each of these scripts for the attempt. Needless to say it didn't work as I am writing this post. How could this effect the ssdi case that you have gave me advice on in the other post? Just wondering.

rmet4nzkx

ren225 said:
In the late 90's it was suggested by my phsycologist that my pcp put me on Neurontin and Depakote due to a bi-polar condition. I was on both these meds about 3 months for bi-polar. I did have a suicide attempt and used about 80 pills of each of these scripts for the attempt. Needless to say it didn't work as I am writing this post. How could this effect the ssdi case that you have gave me advice on in the other post? Just wondering.
This is best discussed with your attorney who has all the informaiton on your case or will have, they are best to advise, I also don't want to make any suggestions that might compromise your case.

In general, a psychiatrist should perscribe your medications not a psychologist in consultation with your pcp especially in a complex case such as yours, a psychologist consulting with a psychiatrist would be another issue, so I hope that now you have a psychiatrist.

I take it you do not still take these 2 medications since the suicide attempt in the late 90's? The answer to that question will have bearing on your attorney's advice.

T

Tired_of_trying

ellencee said:
Tired_of_trying
If you do a web search for Neurontin, you will find several law firms willing to evaluate claims of inappropriate (off-label) prescribing (not an MD error; manufacturer intentional misinformation) and claims of serious side-effects. It is possible that your father has a valid claim of a serious side-effect because Neurontin was a new drug and was without longterm studies for longterm usage side-effects. I'm not suggesting that indeed your father has a valid claim, but I am suggesting 'why not give it a try?'

I have to add that in your father's circumstance, it may be that he should not have been driving due to his history of having a seizure disorder and it may be that by not disclosing his condition to the licensing agency, his license was obtained in an illegal manner. If either is true, he may have no claim against the manufacturer's of Neurontin.

EC
He was receiving Neurotin as it was made for, seizures, but he thinks he was at toxic levels, says something about some blood test stating so but I have not seen it. It is just that this medication was suppose to controll his seizures and , while at maximum level allowed, it did not and at a very bad time causing the death of two persons,

Also, actually, he had authorization from the DMV to drive when he was on Neurontin/medication. As long as a persons seizures are controlled by medication, they do not take away one's license. He did lose it once, but they (CA DMV) reinstated his license over a year prior to his accident. Of course he no longer has it, and everytime he talks about it I say "sure dad, maybe next time you'll take out a school bus or carpool of your buddies going to polka night" That is brutal, I know, but I have to do so to protect him and remind him of the terribleness of his unfortunate accident.

T

Tired_of_trying

rmet4nzkx said:
In addition to what Ellen said, to your last question, Neurontin is a Rx for a seizure disorder, the class action suit is for off label use. Your father's history suggests an uncontrolled seizure disorder and the cognitive deficits with age not incommon. Was his Rx therapy augmented with a Rx like Kepra? Was he having seizures and not telling his doctor so his license wasn't pulled or having seizures of which he was not aware, sometimes you might observe off behavior or lapses in normal attention, these can be more silent seizures. While there may be other issues, his history will become an issue. Anti seizure Rx while a God send for those with seizure disorders are not without their side effects. That fact and that you father had such a serious accident while driving raises other questions about how his seizure disorder was managed and how compliant he was, while at the same time the victims of his seizure while driving also knowing his history of a seizure raises some quesitons, I take it his insurance covered his out of court settlement? I also take it his driver's license has been pulled? If he consults re the class action suit he may not fit into that category but possibly another a different one.
First of all, his insurance did not cover his court, attorney or settlement costs, he went through it without them as the claim by the persons who sued him was denied by the insurance company. He paid everything out of pocket.

And he was taking his medications as required. He carries a little pill box with himand takes them all at the prescribed days. Thing is, my step mom, who died in the crash, had him working outside in the August heat and then when he came in for his shower and nap, she said "why dont we go into town for dinner before you take a nap" Of course, he needed the nap, but being whipped, did as told. (We all think she was planning it, but for him to die, not her) Anyhow, she would not drive, made him, I was there and heard her tell him to drive. Boom crash, her and another dead, others hurt, it was horrible. But he was taking his meds, neurontin, tegretol and one other, I know they added depakote after the accident He is no longer on Neurontin at all, said it made him "loopy"

Thing is, his seizures are not from epilesy or such and he has no idea when they are going to happen or when they have. He thinks he fell alseep.

When he was 18, he was in a bad accident in the snow where a lady came on the wrong side of the road in a snow storm and hit him head on, this was back in the early 1950's. His skull was cracked, but the membrane between the skull and brain did not break. So, they say pressure builds up at that impact point on his brain and it causes the siezures. If he is not under stress and does not over do it, he is fine. Still his seizures caome and go with no warning and unless witnessed, no one, including him even knows it has happened. I have dealt with this in him since 1970, so I know how it happens and how it effects him. It is very sad.

Last edited:

rmet4nzkx

Tired_of_trying said:
He was receiving Neurotin as it was made for, seizures, but he thinks he was at toxic levels, says something about some blood test stating so but I have not seen it. It is just that this medication was suppose to controll his seizures and , while at maximum level allowed, it did not and at a very bad time causing the death of two persons,

Also, actually, he had authorization from the DMV to drive when he was on Neurontin/medication. As long as a persons seizures are controlled by medication, they do not take away one's license. He did lose it once, but they (CA DMV) reinstated his license over a year prior to his accident. Of course he no longer has it, and everytime he talks about it I say "sure dad, maybe next time you'll take out a school bus or carpool of your buddies going to polka night" That is brutal, I know, but I have to do so to protect him and remind him of the terribleness of his unfortunate accident.
As I said the CALS is for off label use of the Rx, not it's use in seizure disorders. That is not to say that your father might not fall under some other category, for which he would have to consult with an attorney. Toxic levels, side effects, preceived toxic levels, compliance, uncontrolled seizures, competency etc all play a role that is why I asked if Rx was augmented with a Rx like Kepra? It sounds like he had an uncontrolled seizure disorder, that he wanted to drive so much that he was non compliant, his competency given a history of seizures is susspect and would be difficult to prove neglence in treatment if he was already treatment resistant and looking for someone else or something else to blame for what happened is not going to solve his problems. It might be a good idea for him to seek counseling and to stay off the roads, he is not competent enough to drive, make sure he doesn't have access to a car.

T

Tired_of_trying

Obviously you lack the ability of comprehension. go pound sand!
people come here looking for help and advice, you Charlatans provide NOTHING!!! (exception, ladynred)

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO outta here

reply all you want, all I will do is laugh at you and tell everyone what frauds you are, if I had your state bar number, they at the bar would know too!

Last edited:

rmet4nzkx

Tired_of_trying said:
Obviously you lack the ability of comprehension. go pound sand!
people come here looking for help and advice, you Charlatans provide NOTHING!!! (exception, ladynred)

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO outta here

reply all you want, all I will do is laugh at you and tell everyone what frauds you are, if I had your state bar number, they at the bar would know too!
I replied to your questions, the last one here I was answering you at about the same itme as you were, yours went up first so I didn't see it, but the facts remain the same, if your father has uncontrolled seizures from a head injury and is unpredictiable he cannot drive. He has no sense of when they are happening, he is unsafe.

You have a lot of things happening in your life I don't understand why you are so confused and angry we us here. It is unfair what happened to your father, I can't help that nor would participating in a class action suit change anything, it did not cause him to have a seizure. You can't sue your step mother for causing it because she is dead. I don't understand why you would want me to pound sand? It is unfair that your divorce cost you so much. Are you on medication and not taking it and the stress too much for you to cope? Please go and get some help. :confused: :confused: :confused:

T

Tired_of_trying

NO, you just sit there and assume, you say thing TOTALLY untrue about him, he knew, he defrauded to get his license, so on and so forth, and I am suppose to be HAPY about that? The DMV GAVE him his license back, he did not ask for it back before... ugh!

you know, as I said in the post you hijacked and am posting below.. go away! do not bother other threads and discussions I am in irrelevant to this thread! You have not helped at all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmet4nzkx
So you haven't left, please go back to the neurotonin thread for your answer, I don't understand what it is you are looking for if not the truth, we can tell you what you like but it won't change reality or your frustration. I ahve not called you names. I am a neuroscientist so i understand seizure disorders and brain injuries all too well!

I left THAT post, not all of them, you putz.. Yes I AM now calling you a name! You DO NOT know my father, you have NEVER met him, you just think from some less than 1000 words you know it all about him, and you do not. If you do, then HELP him, do not judge or belittle what small dignity he has left... This poor man can be walking along, talking to me and boom!!! I look he is 3 feet back and standing there, holding a book out for one to take, like he is trying to pay for it, people looking at him like he is a freak all around, ambulances coming, him coming out of the seizure in the ambulance and livid as all heck, smarter than you and the driver and attendant thinking this man just had a seizure, him not knowing it was coming or that he even had one ... I saw it, but here he is out of it and he is completely competent and not a normal seizure patient at all... so gimme a break!!! (that was only one of them, okay. but most are like this example)
BY THE WAY...

whatever, HEY!, arent you "hijacking" this thread???

I KNOW the truth, I do not lie, see no reason for it, you simply cannot comprehend it. You gave nothing but empty answers. I myself could have, and DID, tell my father to call one of those 800 numbers.. go away and stop wasting my time...

rmet4nzkx

Tired_of_trying said:
NO, you just sit there and assume, you say thing TOTALLY untrue about him, he knew, he defrauded to get his license, so on and so forth, and I am suppose to be HAPY about that? The DMV GAVE him his license back, he did not ask for it back before... ugh!

you know, as I said in the post you hijacked and am posting below.. go away! do not bother other threads and discussions I am in irrelevant to this thread! You have not helped at all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmet4nzkx
So you haven't left, please go back to the neurotonin thread for your answer, I don't understand what it is you are looking for if not the truth, we can tell you what you like but it won't change reality or your frustration. I ahve not called you names. I am a neuroscientist so i understand seizure disorders and brain injuries all too well!

I left THAT post, not all of them, you putz.. Yes I AM now calling you a name! You DO NOT know my father, you have NEVER met him, you just think from some less than 1000 words you know it all about him, and you do not. If you do, then HELP him, do not judge or belittle what small dignity he has left... This poor man can be walking along, talking to me and boom!!! I look he is 3 feet back and standing there, holding a book out for one to take, like he is trying to pay for it, people looking at him like he is a freak all around, ambulances coming, him coming out of the seizure in the ambulance and livid as all heck, smarter than you and the driver and attendant thinking this man just had a seizure, him not knowing it was coming or that he even had one ... I saw it, but here he is out of it and he is completely competent and not a normal seizure patient at all... so gimme a break!!! (that was only one of them, okay. but most are like this example)
BY THE WAY...

whatever, HEY!, arent you "hijacking" this thread???

I KNOW the truth, I do not lie, see no reason for it, you simply cannot comprehend it. You gave nothing but empty answers. I myself could have, and DID, tell my father to call one of those 800 numbers.. go away and stop wasting my time...
You have described a common type of seizure and just like I said he might not even realize that he has seizures, I wasn't putting your father down, you said he wanted his license, and still wants his license, truth is he cannot have a license because for what ever reason his seizures are not controlled, either because the medicaiton doesn't control them or he doesn't take the medication because he doesn't believe that he still has seizures because he doesn't remember them. You said he had dementia from seizures which is common. None of this is reason to call me a putz or say I lack i intelligence, I understand very well what your father is going through, people with head injuries are frequently misunderstood whether they have seizures or not, i understand because I have survived brain trauma 5 times!
So when your father calls the 800# for the class action lawsuit and they tell him he can't be included because of his history and they will have to get his records, don't get angry with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">