• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neurontin

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tired_of_trying

CA

My father took the maximum level of Neurontin for many years. One day he suffered a Grand Mal seizure while driving; two people, including my step mother died and other were injured. Needless to say he was sued, mainly by his own step children who knew of his condition, for wrongful deaths.

Now he is seeing these TV ads regarding the drug and his mind is racing.

Is anyone willing to tell me facts regarding this so I know which way to point my father? I do not want him to get his hopes up of getting money back (he settled the lawsuit for 250,000.00 to avoid trial and every other defendant won the case)
anyhow, he is near 70 and at time, feeble minded due to all the seizures and brain damage, but at times quite livid, it is those livid times I have to deal with about this, and any actual information or contact would be MOST appreciated.

Thank you kindly
D

Last edited:

T

Tired_of_trying

well. if you look ayt the origianl posting times, I actually posted this post one minute before the other post, so I did not hijack anything, I just thought it was weird the other person and I were on the same wave length at just about the same time.... you know?

I would appreciate posts here to be honest, not in theres, as there circumatances are not the same as my fathers... :)

rmet4nzkx

Tired_of_trying said:
well. if you look ayt the origianl posting times, I actually posted this post one minute before the other post, so I did not hijack anything, I just thought it was weird the other person and I were on the same wave length at just about the same time.... you know?

I would appreciate posts here to be honest, not in theres, as there circumatances are not the same as my fathers... :)
If you went to the other thread you would find your answers rather than us having to post twice. That was the point.
_
ellencee
Tired_of_trying
If you do a web search for Neurontin, you will find several law firms willing to evaluate claims of inappropriate (off-label) prescribing (not an MD error; manufacturer intentional misinformation) and claims of serious side-effects. It is possible that your father has a valid claim of a serious side-effect because Neurontin was a new drug and was without longterm studies for longterm usage side-effects. I'm not suggesting that indeed your father has a valid claim, but I am suggesting 'why not give it a try?'

I have to add that in your father's circumstance, it may be that he should not have been driving due to his history of having a seizure disorder and it may be that by not disclosing his condition to the licensing agency, his license was obtained in an illegal manner. If either is true, he may have no claim against the manufacturer's of Neurontin.

EC

rmet4nzkx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired_of_trying
My father took the maximum level of Neurontin for many years. One day he suffered a Grand Mal seizure while driving; two people, including my step mother died and other were injured. Needless to say he was sued, mainly by his own step children who knew of his condition, for wrongful deaths.....Is anyone willing to tell me facts regarding this so I know which way to point my father? I do not want him to get his hopes up of getting money back (he settled the lawsuit for 250,000.00 to avoid trial and every other defendant won the case) anyhow, he is near 70 and at time, feeble minded due to all the seizures and brain damage, but at times quite livid, it is those livid times I have to deal with about this, and any actual information or contact would be MOST appreciated.

So, are you saying even though dad took the drug for seizures, he has a case?
In addition to what Ellen said, to your last question, Neurontin is a Rx for a seizure disorder, the class action suit is for off label use. Your father's history suggests an uncontrolled seizure disorder and the cognitive deficits with age not incommon. Was his Rx therapy augmented with a Rx like Kepra? Was he having seizures and not telling his doctor so his license wasn't pulled or having seizures of which he was not aware, sometimes you might observe off behavior or lapses in normal attention, these can be more silent seizures. While there may be other issues, his history will become an issue. Anti seizure Rx while a God send for those with seizure disorders are not without their side effects. That fact and that you father had such a serious accident while driving raises other questions about how his seizure disorder was managed and how compliant he was, while at the same time the victims of his seizure while driving also knowing his history of a seizure raises some quesitons, I take it his insurance covered his out of court settlement? I also take it his driver's license has been pulled? If he consults re the class action suit he may not fit into that category but possibly another a different one.

ellencee

t_o_t
I helped you hijack the thread, you know! :D
Since one can get in a bit of trouble for hijacking another person's thread, I thought I'd go ahead and 'fess up...
EC

rmet4nzkx

ellencee said:
t_o_t
I helped you hijack the thread, you know! :D
Since one can get in a bit of trouble for hijacking another person's thread, I thought I'd go ahead and 'fess up...
EC
At least Dad is off the road, lets keep our fingers crossed.

T

Tired_of_trying

LOL

Really, no one is more scared than us, his kids.. you know?

if you EVER have to go through such a horrible ordeal.. the hospital caling you.. saying you father wa sin an accident and where he is.. not giving SH*T on your "mom" LE knows that menas DAS [dead at scene])... and then to be sued by your own "family'? He couble l was the only words for it And thanks for the sympanthy, so of you guys arte REAL flipping A holes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">