• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex-wife sue my hubby for small claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dc_claire

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?California

Hi. I am a newbie here. I would appreciate any advice from you guys. My hubby's ex-wife sue him for small claims of 5,000. She claims that she paid in excess of 5,000 to the appropriate agencies for 1996 and 1997. But in their divorce decree, federal and state tax of 1997 only be paid equally by both. Both are liable to pay 1996 -joint tax=joint liability.My hubby was paying it from 1997-2000. When he found out that she wasn't paying,He decided to stop. She paid it year 2001-2003. They don't have a verbal or written agreement that she should pay his share of debt. We currently have a compromise agreement with IRS for a year which we are paying since May 2004. We can't afford to pay her the lumpsum amount. We can only pay her at least $100-200 per month. Will the judge allow to garnish all my husband's salary? what are the steps we should be doing? Any advice would be a big help. Thanks.

JETX

dc_claire said:
Will the judge allow to garnish all my husband's salary?
No. In the event that a judgment is rendered against him, California follows the federal exemption guidelines of:
"exempts from garnishment 75% of disposable earnings per week, or an amount = to 30 x federal minimum hourly wage, whichever is greater."
Further, they also exempt "for necessaries of life."

D

dc_claire

thanks

Thanks, jetx for your info. It's good to know that they won't garnish all my hubby's salary. My hubby has emailed her on how much we can pay. Now, we are just hoping that there is no need to go to the hearing coz this would affect his credit. Again, thanks for the help. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">