• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

severance precident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

phinstar

What is the name of your state? colorado

Hi..My question is.... I have been working for the same company for 10 years. They are getting ready to move to another state. Employees that cannot move have been givin 3 months salary no matter how long they have worked. The last two years i have only worked 30 hrs a week.
Was told ..because i am part-time employee i get no severence, regardless of my previous 8 years of full-time work. Is there a precident set for severence or am i out of luck ?

thank you
john

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Severance is not required by law. That being the case, the employer is free to set up whatever severance plan they wish as long as it it non-discriminatory in the legal sense (race, gender, age etc.).

A plan that offers severance to full time but not part time employees is non-discriminatory (i.e. legal).

Nothing in the law requires them to look at your status of two years ago rather than your status today. You have been a part time employee for two years; it is legal for them to consider you a part time employee and not offer severance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">