• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor or not a mior

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Confused04

What is the name of your state? Massachussetts(but will be Arkansas laws)

My girlfriend and myself have been dating long distance for six months this Wednesday but she is currently 16(turning 17 on December 21st) and I am 20(turning 21 this Wednesday). I am worried I migth get in trouble even if I visit with no sex planned as I read in another thread if I touch her in any sexual way it could be the same b/c althought age of consent is 16 in Arkansas I did my research and saw travel laws which confused me(this is from Age of Consent.com where I saw this)

Chapter 109A Section 2243 follows:

Sec. 2243. Sexual abuse of a minor or ward

(a) Of a Minor. - Whoever crosses a State line with intent to engage in a sexual act with a person who has not attained the age of 12 years, or, in the special maritime and territorial jurisdiction of the United States or in a Federal prison, knowingly engages in a sexual act with another person who -
(1) has attained the age of 12 years but has not attained the age of 16 years; and
(2) is at least four years younger than the person so engaging; or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 15 years, or both.

In other words, an act would be illegal if the person was under 12, or between 12 and 16, and the person engaging was four years older.

Therefore, traveling to a foreign country to have sex with anyone under 12 is illegal, and traveling to a foreign country to have sex with anyone under 18 is illegal only if you are 4 years or more older (16 to 20). Similar restrictions apply to part A:

"with intent that such individual engage in prostitution, or in any sexual
activity for which any person can be charged with a criminal offense, "

Note the "any sexual activity for which any person CAN BE CHARGED WITH A
CRIMINAL OFFENSE."

Here's a quick summary:

Traveling to have sex with someone under 12: ILLEGAL
Traveling to have sex with someone between 12 and 16, and you are less than four years older: LEGAL if local provisions allow so
Traveling to have sex with someone between 12 and 16, and you are more than four years older: ILLEGAL
Traveling to have sex with someone 16 or over: Legal if local provisions allow so

I`m not sure if I fall under what site lists as option 3 or 4. If I visit with no plans of sexual activity is there anyway I get in trouble and end up in jail(which I obviously do not want)?

CdwJava

If you encouarge her to run away or to cross state lines for illicit purposes (touch, fondle, grope or have sexual relations) you could well find yourself a guest of the feds!

And even if it is just you who is traveling, you still could face stat. rape laws, molestation laws, encouraging delinquency of a minor laws (if she bails out of her house to be with you), etc.

if you are seeing her behind her parents back then you have no respect for this girl, and also are NOT responsible enough to be an adult and need to stay home.

Carl

C

Confused04

ok lemme clarify I am seeing her and her parents know and approve(they have offered to let me stay in the extra room they have in the house) and have known since the first week, still I am tryin to find out whats up it is confusing b/c it says 16 in some placesin the law and not in others. So even though Age of Consent is 16 I could get in trouble? I am also confused to when this would be legal if it isn`t now I`ve heard 17, 18 and 21 as ages from some people. Also I`m pretty sure the parents won`t take action but can the state or goverment still do it without their constent? As I said I do not plan any seual contact whatsoever on this trip I`m just trying to get knowledge on this as I am somewhat scared.

Last edited:

CdwJava

The parents do NOT have to forward charges if their child has been the victim of a crime ... the state can do it. And not being familiar with AR law, I can only presume that they have laws similar to ours here in that contributing to the delinquency of a minor is against the law (that means keeping her out late - after curfew, allowing her to drink or smoke, etc.).

Whether AR HAS any applicable laws, I don't know. But, its very possible.

Carl

C

Confused04

so as long as I abide by those laws as I do not smoke or drink myself and wouldn`t want her to and don`t plan on keeping her out past the 11 pm curfew, I should be ok?

CdwJava

Probably ... though I am still curious why a 21-year-old adult male wants to go across country to visit with a child for a romantic visit. It just strikes me as ... 'wrong'. While I understand that emotionally you are about at the same level (men mature at a slower rate than girls), there is just something wrong about the idea.

And you've been "dating long distance" ... this means you met on the internet, right? And thus the two of you have never met. In fact, you do not REALLY know who she is or even if she really exists (Yeah, there ARE whackos that get off on playing games like this). And, you don't know for sure if her parents really approve of this.

You COULD be walking right into a huge and ugly setup. I would give this very bad idea a real second thought before following through with it. And by your first posting, I am guessing that a platonic relationship is NOT what you had in mind.

If it were my daughter ... well, if I had one, you'd be greeted warmly by my shotgun.

But that's just me.

Carl

C

Confused04

I am just turning 21 today she turns 17 in 3 months just to clarify it. I usually do not date younger than 17(well 3 years so 18 now basically) but when we met it was sort of a thing were we hit it off after she helped with some problems I needed advice on and we`ve talked everyday,since about the 4th or 5th day of the relationship, on the phone for 6 months. The reason I brought up the law was she asked me to have sex with her I know it is not common but it`s how it happened. I`ve talked to her mother(mainly just her b/c she is the one with full custody) and the father a few times as well as the grandparents and after getting to know me they all approved of our relationship. Everyone has there opinion on it including my parents who do not agree with it but love me and trust my decision making. It is very torturious to me not being with her everyday and a week of taking her out and just kissing her would ease that pain. Whether you believe me or not is your right and a lot of fathers would do anything to protect their daughter so I would understand if would act that way. Had it been legal I would of also talked to her mother first to see if she had a problem with any sexual activity if she had asked me not to I would not have done anything as that is just the person I am. I`m sorry you think badly of me but I am very thankful for your advice and your time as it would of most likely cost me money to consent with an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">