• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Costume Reproduction, infringe on copyright?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1234dsavfr

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

I wanted to know if there would be a problem legally with this idea I have:

I want to make reproduction costumes for a doll, as faithfully reproduced from a movie or film as I can and then sell the clothing online via ebay, etc.

The doll I am thinking of making the clothing for would be the barbie doll.

I was wondering if there would be a problem with a.)the film company who owns rights to the film I am reproducing the costume from or b.)Mattell company who produces clothing for the Barbie doll, and produces the doll itself. Or both?

In no way would I state that the item is an offically liscenced product from any one film. Nor would I say it was endorsed by Mattell. Since the costume would be only as accurate as I could make it with the sometimes limited in depth info given out by the film companies on any one costume, it would be in my opinion an item "inspired by..." I would never state it was an exact replica.

If this idea takes off I wanted to expand the production to women's sized costumes. So obviously I have got to know if there is also a difference in selling for a doll vs. a person too.

I want to get it right, so any help you can offer would be great.
Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">