• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

washer/dryer sold

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

heathnel

What is the name of your state? kansas

please help.
my husband & i were living with some inlaws and while we were there we lent out our washer & dryer to my sister in law and her boyfriend.
well long story short. my sister in law ended up going to jail for awhile & while she was away her boyfriend sold our wahser & dryer and then skipped town.
we have the address of the people who bought the waher/ dryer but just dont know what to do or what we can do.
we also have the b.f. address he is in arizona.
we would like to avoid going to court and all that. just b/c we dont think we would ever see any money from him.
we do still have the original purchase reciept with the serial # on it (if that makes a difference)
any suggestions any thoughts?
please help any way possible.
thank you,
heather nelson

Last edited:

BL

You say you lent it to them.
They could say different,like you Gave it to them.
It's a civil matter , meaning you would have to take them to court and sue.
Sue where he lives .
Personally I think your case would be weak .

Dandy Don

Go to small claims court if it is worth the time and trouble to you. They are going to look like fools when lying in court and their body language and facial expressions are going to give them away: boyfriend probably won't even show up and then sister-in-law is going to have to try to come up with a good explanation, which she won't. Just because boyfriend doesn't have any money, doesn't sister in law have some? If you don't go to court you won't get anything, so please don't let these dishonest people get away with treating you like a jerk.

It would not be very believable that you would give away and brand new washer and dryer.

BL

I Did not see where the poster stated the washer/dryer were new.
They stated the had receipts.

If in fact they are newer , I would agree a Court would likely agree with the plaintiff.

Many people including myself however keep receipts from 3 - 4 yrs. ago w/ their serial # s ,Etc.

In the latter scenario it would not be uncommon to give someone merchandise 3-4 yrs old .

Bottom line is small claims filing fees are small , and depending on other cost it may or may not be worth it ,all you can do is win or lose .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">