• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Phenol poisoning

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MelissaR

What is the name of your state? Connecticut/Rhode Island

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, but here goes.

Recently my father and younger brother were swimming in a river nearby. They came home, both complaining about chest pain and flu-like symptoms. Recently I found out that a local chemical plant has been dumping high amounts of waste containg the substance phenol, which is highly poisonous, in the river where they were swimming. I wondered if there was any damage to their lungs or livers could there possibly be a way to sue for hospital bills or damages? I'm not much up on legal matters or terms. Any help would be greatly apprieciated.

Here is a link to the newspaper article for more information:

http://www.thewesterlysun.com/articles/2004/08/25/news/news1.txt

rmet4nzkx

Well, did the seek medical attention then or subsequently? Without that it may be difficult to make a claim. You can go online to check on first aid etc and call the EPA and get their suggestion as to what to do how to make a claim is needed.
Here is an abstract of an article where 3 common vitamin's helped prevent damage from repeated exposure (B1, B5 and C)
Skvortsova RI, Pozniakovskii VM, Agarkova IA.

Experiments on rats were made to examine the effect of vitamin B1, pantothenic and ascorbic acids on the acetylation system and some characteristics of protein metabolism under chronic exposure to phenol. Inhibition of phenol vapours led to inhibition of the acetylation on the 105th day of the experiment, to accumulation of pyruvic acid by the blood and diurnal urine, to elevation of cholesterol content in the blood serum. The total content of protein and protein fractions in the blood serum remained unchanged. Additional vitaminization of the animals with thiamine (150 micrograms), calcium pantothenate (650 micrograms) or with their mixture containing ascorbic acid (2 mg) resulted in normalization of the test characteristics of carbohydrate and fat metabolism. The data obtained and the clinical trials carried out by the authors suggest introduction of the physiological doses of thiamine, calcium pantothenate and ascorbic acid into the diet of the workers in order to prevent phenol poisonings more effectively.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">