• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Were you fired or asked to resign" on application

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

Ike Wit

What is the name of your state? Oregon

I was told to quit or be fired because of several customer complaints during a new-hire probationary period. I quit. On a job application for a new job, a question asks "Were you fired or asked to resign?"

1. Do I have to truthfully answer the question?

2. If I answer "yes" is that answer available though some reporting agency to all employers?

Beth3

1. No, you don't HAVE to but if you lie and the employer discovers that at a later date (as they very likely will when they do reference checking), you will be out of any further consideration for the position. If they discover the falsehood after they hire you, you'll be terminated.

2. No. Employers generally don't share applications and they certainly don't maintain some sort of "list" they share with others.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
1.) Well, no one is going to hold a gun to your head. But if you lie about it and the employer finds out (like, when they do the reference check) you can count on NOT getting the position, and if they find out after you were hired, you can count on being fired with no unemployment. It's called, falsification of your application and it is a firing-on-the-spot/put-on-the-permanent-do-not-hire list offense.

2.) No. There is no such agency.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">