• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Day of week I was fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

aolson

What is the name of your state? OH

I was terminated from my company at 4pm on a Monday. I was graciously given 2 weeks severance pay even though I was asked to leave permanently at the end of that day. A relative of mine said that they read the labor law notice about terminating a salaried employee on the first day of their work week. It went on to say that if a salaried employee is terminated on the first full day of their work week, they are entitled to a full week's pay in addition to any other compensation. Is this true? Thanks!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, it is not true, although it is a fairly commonly held misconception.

In most cases, an exempt employee who works any part of the work week must be paid for the full week. There are, however, several exceptions to this. One of them is if it is either the first or last week of employment, and the employee does not work the entire week.

If you are a non-exempt employee who is paid on a salaried basis, it is still not true, because under the law a non-exempt employee never has to be paid for any time they do not work.

Your relative is mistaken. Exempt or non-exempt, if you were fired on a Monday then you only need to be paid for Monday. Not the rest of the week.

Beth3

No. I think your relative is hallucinating In fact, the law specifically states that an employer need NOT pay a full week's wages to a salaried employee the week he/she begins and ends employment if they don't work the full week.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">