• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal Time Vs. Company Time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jenzles

What is the name of your state?Wisconsin:
I work for a small company based out of MI. I occasionally need to drive on company time. As a result, I was asked to provide my driver's license so they could check my record periodically. I then received a speeding ticket on my own time (in my own vehicle) - not on company time at all. I received disciplinary action in my employment file over this, and was told I could be terminated if I ever get another. Can I receive disciplinary action for what I do on my own time?

Jenny Seifert

Beth3

When it has an impact on your employer, yes.

Among other things, your employer's auto and liability insurance increases based on the driving records of their employees, just as yours does. If due to your driving record your employer determines you are a poor risk and no longer wishes to have you behind the wheel of a company vehicle or have you drive your own vehicle on company time, they're free to discipline/terminate as they feel appropriate.

J

jenzles

Personal Time vs Company Time

Except I was not driving on company time or a company vehicle. And my driving record was clean prior to this ticket.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I understand that you were not driving a company vehicle and you were not on company time.

It STILL would affect your employer's liability and insurance. Their insurance company is not going to differentiate between tickets, accidents, moving violations etc. that take place on your employer's time and those that take place on your time. If you are a driver listed on your employer's insurance, what you do behind a wheel is going to affect that insurance, period.

That being the case, your employer is within their rights to discipline you for actions taken that affect them, regardless of whether the incident took place on their time or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">