• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

smoking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? MA

Is it possible for a condo assoc. to deem an entire building non-smoking? This would include individual units.

HomeGuru

mbskis said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? MA

Is it possible for a condo assoc. to deem an entire building non-smoking? This would include individual units.
**A: define deem.

For instance, last year we voted that no one can have washers in their units. Is it possible for us to vote that there is to be no smoking anywhere in the building, including individual units?

nextwife

Is your goal to make these units undesirable to buyers? The more lifestyle prohibitions you place, the more you impact the pool of potential buyers, and thus, the value. I've been a condo owner, and I would certainly never buy a unit anywhere in which I was not allowed my own washer.

Likely you could so designate if the condo association rules would allow this sort of change, however, I believe you would have to "Grandfather in" any current ownership by smokers. Of course, talk to an attorney who can review your docs.

HomeGuru

mbskis said:
For instance, last year we voted that no one can have washers in their units. Is it possible for us to vote that there is to be no smoking anywhere in the building, including individual units?
**A: yes, it is possible to vote on the smoking issue but such vote would merely be of a survey in nature and have no legal effect.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">