• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

easement question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

upset mom

State of Mississippi, We purchased property on which we built a home on the property deed an easement was included to allow us to get to our property. It only states as follows "easement" a 30' easement being 15' left and 15' right of centerline situated in the NW1/4 & E1/2 of the NW1/4 of section 26, etc. then the exact footage. The area is very rural. We built a gravel driveway on that easement to our property. Here's the problem. We put up a sign stating private drive no trespassing, owner knows they can pass at any time but they are currently renting a house to someone on the far end of the property approximately 10 acres away from drive. Renter does not have to use driveway they have their own. The renter tore down the sign and became very rude. The intent was to keep hunters from using the drive to go hunting and to stop dumping along side of drive. Owner has no objection to this but I was wondering if I have any legal rights to do anything because of renter.

HomeGuru

upset mom said:
State of Mississippi, We purchased property on which we built a home on the property deed an easement was included to allow us to get to our property. It only states as follows "easement" a 30' easement being 15' left and 15' right of centerline situated in the NW1/4 & E1/2 of the NW1/4 of section 26, etc. then the exact footage. The area is very rural. We built a gravel driveway on that easement to our property. Here's the problem. We put up a sign stating private drive no trespassing, owner knows they can pass at any time but they are currently renting a house to someone on the far end of the property approximately 10 acres away from drive. Renter does not have to use driveway they have their own. The renter tore down the sign and became very rude. The intent was to keep hunters from using the drive to go hunting and to stop dumping along side of drive. Owner has no objection to this but I was wondering if I have any legal rights to do anything because of renter.
**A: no, you do not own the land and therefore cannot restrict the landowners tenant from using the driveway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">