• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor Blocking Ocean View With Motorhome

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Reach100

After 1 year of renting an apartment with an Ocean View in California, our neighbor has decided to park his motorhome in front of our deck - partially blocking the view that we are paying premium dollar for. He owns the property that he is parking on, there ARE other places for him to park on his property. Do we, or our landlord, have any legal rights?

Thanks,
Rich V

nextwife

Some communities DO have restrictions on what sort of vehicles can be parked in view of anyone else. My village does. Check with your community and see what sorts of restrictions may exist regarding parking of oversized vehiclas. If there is any useful restriction, talk to your neighbor and if he refuses to comply, report the violation. Motor homes in my community, for example, must be parked where not visible, or parked in an offsite storage facilities. With any luck, your community has some restrictions you can utilize.

nextwife

Also, IF the landlord's neighbor's title has any sort of deed restriction prohibiting structures that interfere with your view, your LL may be able to enforce compliance using that. But LL would need to review their own title to see if there are any applicable restrictions/protections.

HomeGuru

Reach100 said:
After 1 year of renting an apartment with an Ocean View in California, our neighbor has decided to park his motorhome in front of our deck - partially blocking the view that we are paying premium dollar for. He owns the property that he is parking on, there ARE other places for him to park on his property. Do we, or our landlord, have any legal rights?

Thanks,
Rich V
**A: it appears that if the neighbor is parking on his own property, then you are out of luck and view.

trumptman

HomeGuru said:
**A: it appears that if the neighbor is parking on his own property, then you are out of luck and view.
Home, your advice is likely not valid. In most communities, especially those near oceans, there are many restrictions on parking, even on private property.

Most cities have ordinances that allow parking of large vehicles only on private drives that are not viewable from the street. They have specific laws that do not even allow you to park a recreation vehicle in your own front driveway or on the street in front of your home.

Nick

HomeGuru

trumptman said:
Home, your advice is likely not valid. In most communities, especially those near oceans, there are many restrictions on parking, even on private property.

**A: oh yeah, then please cite those restrictions then and also highlight those same restrictions as it applies to tenants rather than property owners.
Most cities have ordinances that allow parking of large vehicles only on private drives that are not viewable from the street. They have specific laws that do not even allow you to park a recreation vehicle in your own front driveway or on the street in front of your home.

Nick
**A: then look at the transportation ordinance and also the CC&R's, if any.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Notwithstanding any land use covenants or restrictions to the contrary, a landowner in California has no legal right to a "view". You have a right to a "cube of airspace" beginning and ending at your property boundaries. A "view" is an added "bonus" to some properties and their ownership. But, if there were a "legal entitlement" to that "view", then building on land, or land use, would come to an abrupt halt. See Calif. Civil Code § 659.

Obviously, that can't and won't happen.

IAAL

S

shortbena

Self-absorbed neighbor

Self-absorbed neighbor California,

Consider planting some very nasty sap trees. The sap stick to his camper and ruin it's paint job and clog his filters. Also trees that drop lots of debris on his camper will also make him very angry. Do they ever sit outside? If they do pile a ton of manure on the fence line. They may have moved the camper out of range of a crappy or sappy tree you may offer to help cost of removal of the tree. Work with your neighbor if you can. I'm betting they are democrats... self-absorbed... fill in a 1000 mail offers and call me cards so they get tons of crap mail and calls.

HomeGuru

shortbena said:
Self-absorbed neighbor California,

Consider planting some very nasty sap trees. The sap stick to his camper and ruin it's paint job and clog his filters. Also trees that drop lots of debris on his camper will also make him very angry. Do they ever sit outside? If they do pile a ton of manure on the fence line. They may have moved the camper out of range of a crappy or sappy tree you may offer to help cost of removal of the tree. Work with your neighbor if you can. I'm betting they are democrats... self-absorbed... fill in a 1000 mail offers and call me cards so they get tons of crap mail and calls.
**A: why are you wasting your time postings such nonsense?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">