• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Another fence issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dinman127263

What is the name of your state? Connecticut

I built my home last year and have been living there since October. We have a 650 ft driveway which goes past our neighbors yard then up into the woods When we first met our neighbor, he told us that he thought that his property line ran up the middle of our driveway. According to our deed, and survey, our driveway is about 10 feet from the property line (we did it that way so we'd have a place to put the snow in winter). Our land is one of 10 lots that were part of a subdivision created around his house. This summer, he has been mowing his grass up to our driveway, (therefore mowing on our land) and more recently has crossed the driveway and now is mowing a strip on the other side of it! Since moving in, I have wanted to put a fence up, but am concerned about what his options are once he sees me out there installing it. Can he legally stop me (using police) from installing the fence as he believes he is in the right? I am confident that I am right about the line and refuse to pay for a survey since the lot was surveyed prior to my buying it. I feel that once the fence is up, he is more than welcome to pay for a survey to prove me wrong, but I just want to make sure the fence gets put up. He also has dogs that scare my children when we check the mail, and that is what I will tell him if he questions why I want the fence.

nextwife

First, check with your municipality and see what the regulations are for a boundary line survey. In my municipality, for example, ANY fence that is within 10 feet of a possible lot line MUST have a survey done.

If you are spending the money for a fence, spend the money for the survey and stakes as well, that way you KNOW your fence is where it should be. And have evidence of this in any dealings with your neighbor.

HomeGuru

dinman127263 said:
What is the name of your state? Connecticut

I built my home last year and have been living there since October. We have a 650 ft driveway which goes past our neighbors yard then up into the woods When we first met our neighbor, he told us that he thought that his property line ran up the middle of our driveway. According to our deed, and survey, our driveway is about 10 feet from the property line (we did it that way so we'd have a place to put the snow in winter). Our land is one of 10 lots that were part of a subdivision created around his house. This summer, he has been mowing his grass up to our driveway, (therefore mowing on our land) and more recently has crossed the driveway and now is mowing a strip on the other side of it! Since moving in, I have wanted to put a fence up, but am concerned about what his options are once he sees me out there installing it. Can he legally stop me (using police) from installing the fence as he believes he is in the right? I am confident that I am right about the line and refuse to pay for a survey since the lot was surveyed prior to my buying it. I feel that once the fence is up, he is more than welcome to pay for a survey to prove me wrong, but I just want to make sure the fence gets put up. He also has dogs that scare my children when we check the mail, and that is what I will tell him if he questions why I want the fence.
**A: how old is your survey?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">