• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Graphic Design Copyright Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

c77man

What is the name of your state? PA

I was recently hired as a freelance designer (not work for hire) to create a letterhead design, envelope design, and a business card template for a non-profit organization.

They had been using a printer for several years and wished to continue to use them without any complaint from me (until now). I had met with my client reviewed and approved my letterhead design and submitted it to the printer. Today (9/2/04) I viewed the “final” version that the printer produced and to my dismay the design had been altered (not in a way that would be required in order to print the work). I also found out that the printer created their own envelope design using elements for the letterhead design that I created and has printed 5,000 copies of it. I had not submitted files for the envelope design and never saw or authorized him to create his own version, nor was I asked permission for him to do so.

The printer is stating that he still intends to charge for the work (collecting money on an alteration of my design). My client hired me to produce this work and is now receiving substandard versions that I have no control over, that (due to its lack of quality) could adversely affect my business.

What options do I have in regards to copyright (how can it help in this situation), I just produced this work and have not yet registered it.

I greatly appreciate any advice you may have…

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">