• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

This can't be LEGAL!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nelsnix

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Illinois

Hello everyone. I would like to know if anyone could please tell me if it is legal for an individuals Doctor to take blood and test for illegal drugs when they say they are only testing to see if the pain meds that the individual has been taking for about a year is causing any damage to their liver or any other vital organ?? thanks!! NN

M

meerkat3232

nix,

If your pain meds were opiate based as many are, then it is likely illegal opiate derivatives might show up during what ever test they gave you. Most drug testing laws are regulated by state. I could not find anything during a brief search other than in most states, consent must be given unless you are on parole, and even then, as part of your parole agreement, you are aware you can be tested. However, you are stating possible liver damage, so if this matter is about a lawsuit or insurance investigation, I imagine the hospital would need that knowledge, but I have'nt found whether they still need your consent or not.

ellencee

nelsnix
I researched consent for drug testing and found that written and, or verbal consent for specific testing does not prevent the physician for evaluating for the presence of all drugs that may be contributing to the physical signs and symptoms (in an effort to diagnose and treat the patient). The results can be shared with third parties such as other medical providers who are involved in the current treatment, insurance companies (which could include employer notification in the process of notifying employer-based insurance benefits).

It is possible that in evaluating liver function, the MD requested a full drug profiling panel and did so within the legal scope of consent.

EC

N

nelsnix

thanks!!

Hey guys, I just wanted to say THANKS for your help!! This is a cool site and very insightful for those of us with questions or doubts dealing with proper procedures or "shady" individuals.

Thanks Again, NN

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">