• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sigh, Getting screwed by Towing company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mike Danger

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CO

:mad:
Well I guess most everyone hates tow comapnies. They seem to be able to screw you to the wall and get away with it.
Well so heres my little story.
I just moved to CO, been there for almost 2 months. I still live in TX also.
Anyway. So all seems well... Till i come back to TX for a few weeks. I figure my car will be fine parked in front of my Apt bldg in a gated complex, where ive been parking with no trouble for the past 2 months. I ask a guy i know to go by just to take a look make sure my car was OK, only to have him tell me ITS NOT THERE. some other tenants told him it was towed.
Its a good thing i dont own a gun.
They said the car tagged for tow because it didnt have reg tags, well I just moved there and i didnt get them yet, and if they had a problem with it, they had 2 months to tell me. SO anyway, they tag the car to be towed in 72 hours, Well im out of town how would I know they were going to tow it???
I wouldnt even know it was gone if i didnt have some one check on it.

And im sure they F**cked with the car, if the alarm went off (its ear piecring).
what if theres damage??
its a late model european car so its not like they'ed think it was abandoned or anything

So im a couple thousand miles away, And ill bet the tow company is going to rape me for eveyday of storage.

What recourse do i have???

I dont see why the security company gets to be judge and jury, why they have to stick their nose in my business. and now cost me money. If a cop wants to pull me over, for no tags (how would they know since i have out of state plates) fine, Or hell even ticked me in my parking spot.

I feel like im being totally screwed here. and I want someone to PAY, and i dont mean ME

ARGHHHHH

Thanks for reading.

Mike

BL

My guess , It's not the towing CO.'s fault . It's yours.

The Apt. complex most likely has a policy.
You mention out of state tags ( or what would be considered non-legal tags ), since you occupied a residence there and even more so if you didn't ) , and it was sitting in one place for 2 months .

The Complex had every right to have it towed. I'm sure there a signs , RIGHT ?

You Are Guilty

Don't be silly. It's quite evident that this apartment complex "has it out" for our OP, presumably (I suspect), because they are jealous he drives a "late model european car" (you know how "pseudo-patriotic" people are getting these days).

I can sympathize with the OP's plight - I mean, really, why should he have to pay because he violated all these laws and rules? That's clearly not his fault - it's the state's/complex's for making them up in the first place.

HomeGuru

You Are Guilty said:
Don't be silly. It's quite evident that this apartment complex "has it out" for our OP, presumably (I suspect), because they are jealous he drives a "late model european car" (you know how "pseudo-patriotic" people are getting these days).

I can sympathize with the OP's plight - I mean, really, why should he have to pay because he violated all these laws and rules? That's clearly not his fault - it's the state's/complex's for making them up in the first place.

**A: yours makes just too much damn sense.

Happy Trails

Mike Danger said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CO

:mad:
Well I guess most everyone hates tow comapnies. They seem to be able to screw you to the wall and get away with it.
Well so heres my little story.
I just moved to CO, been there for almost 2 months. I still live in TX also.
Anyway. So all seems well... Till i come back to TX for a few weeks. I figure my car will be fine parked in front of my Apt bldg in a gated complex, where ive been parking with no trouble for the past 2 months. I ask a guy i know to go by just to take a look make sure my car was OK, only to have him tell me ITS NOT THERE. some other tenants told him it was towed.
They said the car tagged for tow because it didnt have reg tags, well I just moved there and i didnt get them yet, and if they had a problem with it, they had 2 months to tell me. SO anyway, they tag the car to be towed in 72 hours, Well im out of town how would I know they were going to tow it???
I wouldnt even know it was gone if i didnt have some one check on it.

And im sure they F**cked with the car, if the alarm went off (its ear piecring).
what if theres damage??
its a late model european car so its not like they'ed think it was abandoned or anything

So im a couple thousand miles away, And ill bet the tow company is going to rape me for eveyday of storage.

I dont see why the security company gets to be judge and jury, why they have to stick their nose in my business. and now cost me money. If a cop wants to pull me over, for no tags (how would they know since i have out of state plates) fine, Or hell even ticked me in my parking spot.

I feel like im being totally screwed here. and I want someone to PAY, and i dont mean ME

ARGHHHHH

Thanks for reading.

Mike
**How much time do you think they should have given you to make the car legal? Who exactly should pay for your poor judgement?

JETX

Mike Danger said:
I figure my car will be fine parked in front of my Apt bldg in a gated complex, where ive been parking with no trouble for the past 2 months.
Obviously, you 'figured' wrong?? What makes you think that the apartment would (or should) allow you to have 'parking privileges' there?? Do you still pay rent there?? Did you get managements permission to park there??

Yep, because then you would be facing CRIMINAL charges!

They said the car tagged for tow because it didnt have reg tags, well I just moved there and i didnt get them yet
Sorry, but your 'logic' is screwed up. Your post said you had just moved TO Colorado. Since your vehicle was in Texas, how does that work with "I just moved there"? And why is it anyone elses fault (but yours) that the vehicle was not 'legal'??

and if they had a problem with it, they had 2 months to tell me.
Another example of your 'screwed up' logic. Why would they have a responsibility to tell you of your own problem??

SO anyway, they tag the car to be towed in 72 hours, Well im out of town how would I know they were going to tow it???
And how did they know that you were 'out of town' (or more accurately MOVED for two months!!!)???

what if theres damage??
Okay, I'll play...... 'what if'????

And why not?? There are lots of European cars that are pieces of crap (Jaguar and Land Rover, to name two of them). As far as I am concerned, ANYTIME I see either of them parked somewhere, I just assume that they are abandoned!! :D

Yep. Probably about what your 'late model european car' is worth.

Your choice: Pay the towing and storage, or not.

Get out your wallet!! :D

Thanks for reading.
You're welcome.

M

Mike Danger

GEEE thanks for your support. :confused:
To clarify. I moved to CO, WITH THE car. and I have been living there for about 2 months when i Flew back home for a 3 weeks(where I still am, 1 week to go) Of course i had permission to park, theres no assigned parking and I pay rent there ofcourse.

I though id get some help how to get out of this situation, have some argument for getting some money back, since no one notified me( the manager has my cell #) Though one of the managers said she didnt even know.

The fact they towed it when i was out of town is whats really aggravating.
I mean if they dont like that i have local tags why dont they just send a cop to give a ticket? What gives them the right to just steal your car? Especially being a new resident from out of state?

This kinda feels like an invasion of privacy. I mean they had garages to rent(but they were full, as I specifically asked about getting one just to keep the car in when im out of town) But if i did get one would they have the right to enter and check out my car then too? Or heck if i have a locking car cover on the car do they have the right to try to open it??

Wait wait, let me guess, I broke ( i guess) one minor rule which affects no one at all, except maybe some rentacop, so they should tow my car and charge my hundreds of dollar, becuase i am just a horrible person :(

BL

So you moved to CO. 2 months ago , but just moved there from TX ( another State ) . So why should they care ?
Geeze the management had your cell phone # , so she should have notified you .
Geeze and it was only a minor offense Geeze .

Dang, what are these peoples problem anyways .They must have big egos , RIGHT ?

Just wondering , you think we could help you out ?

What ? You think we know someone in high places ?

JETX

Mike Danger said:
GEEE thanks for your support.
Sorry, support is something you get from your parents or spouse. We only give you the cold, hard legal FACTS.

To clarify. I moved to CO, WITH THE car. and I have been living there for about 2 months when i Flew back home for a 3 weeks(where I still am, 1 week to go)
Gee, sorry about my confusion due to YOUR confusing post. I guess I could have played '100 questions' with you.... and didn't.

Of course i had permission to park, theres no assigned parking and I pay rent there ofcourse.
So, then you shouldn't have any problems.... unless they have (like most apartments) restrictions prohibiting UNREGISTERED vehicles being abandoned on their premises. After all, they presumably noticed that it hadn't been moved in some time and put a 72 hour notice on it.... and then when no one still stepped forward, they exercised their proper legal right to have it removed from THEIR property.

I though id get some help how to get out of this situation, have some argument for getting some money back, since no one notified me( the manager has my cell #) Though one of the managers said she didnt even know.
And you would have.... had you been right. You weren't.

The fact they towed it when i was out of town is whats really aggravating.
Why??? Don't you think you would have done the same thing if this was YOUR property and it appeared someone had abandoned a vehicle on it?? And after you put a notice to remove it and it was ignored??

I mean if they dont like that i have local tags why dont they just send a cop to give a ticket? What gives them the right to just steal your car? Especially being a new resident from out of state?
Simply, because they don't need to. They had a policy (very likely published or already included in your lease) and they used it.

This kinda feels like an invasion of privacy.
ROTFLMAO!!! Now, THAT is funny. :D

I mean they had garages to rent(but they were full, as I specifically asked about getting one just to keep the car in when im out of town) But if i did get one would they have the right to enter and check out my car then too?
Of course that would depend entirely on the terms of the 'garage rental agreement'.

Or heck if i have a locking car cover on the car do they have the right to try to open it??
If you abandoned your vehicle on their property and failed to respond to 'notice', yep.

Wait wait, let me guess, I broke ( i guess) one minor rule which affects no one at all, except maybe some rentacop, so they should tow my car and charge my hundreds of dollar, becuase i am just a horrible person
Being ignorant is not being 'horrible'. Simply a fact of life.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">