• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advice needed - Breakup when we share property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nodeel

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

All,

I recently went through a breakup with my girlfriend of 5 1/2 years. If that weren't traumatic enough, we shared a condo with both of our names on it as Tennants in Common. Now, we are amicably apart, but I am worried that her name being on the Condo and the Mortgage will become a headache later one (we're both on the mortgage too!) My parents helped with the down payment, putting in the entire amount of $18k. She pitched in for the closing costs for the amount of $4000 or so.

How can I get myself out of this mess....I've heard something about a Quit-Claim Deed. Can this be employed? What about the mortgage. If I have her Quit-Claim the deed, does my mortgage get called in??? Any advice or sites dealing with this topic are appreciated.

Thanks!

HomeGuru

nodeel said:
What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

All,

I recently went through a breakup with my girlfriend of 5 1/2 years. If that weren't traumatic enough, we shared a condo with both of our names on it as Tennants in Common. Now, we are amicably apart, but I am worried that her name being on the Condo and the Mortgage will become a headache later one (we're both on the mortgage too!) My parents helped with the down payment, putting in the entire amount of $18k. She pitched in for the closing costs for the amount of $4000 or so.

How can I get myself out of this mess....I've heard something about a Quit-Claim Deed. Can this be employed? What about the mortgage. If I have her Quit-Claim the deed, does my mortgage get called in??? Any advice or sites dealing with this topic are appreciated.

Thanks!
**A: sell the property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">