• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

another MIP underage drinking case...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CarrieMartin

What is the name of your state? San Diego, CA

on the 4th of july i was celebrating our countries independance... and holding a beer on the beach with about 20 friends. i saw some beach police making their way through the crowds. i politely put down my beer (1st beer, not even a sip out of it) i continued drinking my bottle of gatorade, which i was also holding. about 10 to 15 minutes later the beach cop approaches me and says, 'i saw you holding a beer before' and asked for ID. i showed her my gatorade and she said that she had seen me before and there was nothing i could do. i was on the beach, so i didnt have an ID, but i gave her my correct DOB and name. she was unable to locate me on her palm pilot for awhile and her partner came over and started verbal harrassing me. threatening to throw me in the paddy wagon. he grabbed my wrist, twisted it around and i was like ''woah, you cant do that'' and jumped back. :cool: if it would have been appropriate he would have continued.. you dont say no to a cop. but so many people were watching he backed off. when they found me in their database they gave me a ticket and the woman told me she would put that i was also holding a gatorade in her report, and that i could contest the charges if i wished.

the whole situation confuses me :confused: . i plead not guilty in the preliminary hearing b/c here in California its mandatory license suspension for a year. but i'm not sure if that was the correct decision.

if i am found guilty in the trial... will my fine be increased? is there any possible way around license suspension? the punishment does not fit the crime- i wasnt within a mile of my car or car keys!

[email protected]
thank you for any advice. court date is set for October 16th, 2004

~Carrie~

S

sarabeara

That Sucks

this sept i also got a MIP in so cal (Isla Vista...) so i was just wondering how things turned out for u. ill be going to court sometime mid november and the officer who gave me the ticket said that if i plea guilty, i will NOT have my license suspended and that i would only have to take some expensive classes and maybe community service. I hope thats true but if anyone knows about this help! im a little worried... :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">