• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retroactive billing at SBC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

florin

What is the name of your state? CT

On August 2, 2004, I signed up for the unlimited usage package with SBC CT. They offered unlimited local and long distance calls for 65$/month, with an additional 25$ discount for the first month.

On August 7, 2004, I switched to ATT as a long distance carrier. I called SBC and notified them of the change on August 11.

Without notifying me, either when I called them, or in writing, SBC has charged me for the calls placed between August 2 and August 7, retroactively, at 0.1$/minute. The associate I spoke with on August 11 did not mention that this would happen, nor did I receive a letter indicating it.

After discovering on the SBC web page that I was supposed to pay a huge
bill for the calls placed between August 2 and 7, I called SBC Customer Service to solve the situation. The manager I spoke to did not acknowledge a problem, but offered to "split it" so I would pay 50% of the bill.

I would want to know what is the best course of action. My main complain is that there is no provision, in the service letters I received from SBC, stating that calls would be billed retroactively, at a rate established unilaterally by SBC, in the event the long distance carried is changed. Should I try to go to Small Claims Court? Should I formally complain at the SBC Legal Office?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Florin

racer72

Should I try to go to Small Claims Court?
Only if they owe you money.

Should I formally complain at the SBC Legal Office?
Sure, go right ahead.

And why don't you think you have to pay for the service you received during that period? And you have read all the small print in the terms of service? I did and and it does state that services used for less than a complete billing cycle may be charged a higher rate. Pay the bill, you will lose and it isn't going to be worth the hassle.

F

florin

Small Print at SBC?

Hello,

Thank you all for your advice. Concerning the small print and charges for which I am responsible: in none of the service papers, does SBC state that if I switch from them before one full month of service, they will charge me at a different, discretionary rate. I have carefully read the small print. There are other reductions/credits of which they say would be lost upon terminating service.

I do not believe I should NOT pay for the calls which I made; however, I was expecting to pay for the portion of the month during which I had the deal with SBC, or, in the worst case scenario, pay for a full month of service, even though I only used it for 5 days. But they are asking for more than 3 times the cost for a full month, by applying a rate-per-minute, decided without notifying me, by any means.

Under these circumstances, do you think it be useful to file a complaint with the local consumer protection agency? Would they have more leverage?

Please advise, I appreciate your opinions!

Florin

F

florin

A Detail

I forgot to mention that when I asked for the phone number of the legal office at SBC, they refused to give it to me, saying "it's an interoffice number"
Is this normal? Do they have the right to refuse giving the information?

Thanks,

Florin

JETX

florin said:
On August 2, 2004, I signed up for the unlimited usage package with SBC CT. They offered unlimited local and long distance calls for 65$/month, with an additional 25$ discount for the first month.

On August 7, 2004, I switched to ATT as a long distance carrier. I called SBC and notified them of the change on August 11.
Is your post correct in that you only remained with the MONTHLY service for all of NINE DAYS??!!!

Without notifying me, either when I called them, or in writing, SBC has charged me for the calls placed between August 2 and August 7, retroactively, at 0.1$/minute.
That seems reasonable. How much (per minute) did you expect to pay??
How many minutes did you use within that period??

After discovering on the SBC web page that I was supposed to pay a huge bill for the calls placed between August 2 and 7, I called SBC Customer Service to solve the situation.
What 'situation'?? Apparently (from your post), you were aware (or should have been) that they would pro-rate your billing somehow. And how would your propose they 'adjust' an unlimited plan to pay for minutes???

I would want to know what is the best course of action. My main complain is that there is no provision, in the service letters I received from SBC, stating that calls would be billed retroactively, at a rate established unilaterally by SBC, in the event the long distance carried is changed.
To answer your 'best course', we would have to know how many minutes you used, how much they charged, and what you think would be a reasonable fee for the minutes used.

Should I try to go to Small Claims Court? Should I formally complain at the SBC Legal Office?
Of course you can do either or both of those.... however, no responsible person here can (or should) give advice without knowing the answers to the questions I asked.

F

florin

What is fair?

Thank you again for your opinion. Maybe my judgement is not correct, but let's consider this argument: if I had switched to a different company exactly after one month of service, I would have had to pay 45$ (65$ regular - 25$ a first month promotional discount) for all the calls made, inculding those during the first 5 days. This means the phone company would have had to carry a lot more calls for the 45$, and they could not have argued anything upon switching.

As I left earlier than 1 month, I agree I should pay for the calls made. How much? Well, I think 65$ (the cost for a full month, without the promotional discount) should be the absolut maximum. This is like paying a full meal at the restaurant, then leaving after the first course. The phone would make money out of my stupidity, granted, but the amount could not be more than the maximum price we ever agreed upon.

Could you tell me where I am making a mistake in this argument? Why is the phone company allowed to charge me a per minute rate for calls which would have otherwise been carried for a - much lower - flat fee? And why are they allowed to choose the rate without discussing it with me, when I announced that I am switching from them? Is this not a scam?

Thank you,

Florin

F

florin

Answers

I forgot to answer your questions regarding the actual amounts. They want me to pay approx. 300$ in costs + taxes and fees for the calls which would have otherwise been carried for 65$, for the whole month.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">