• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Janitorial Company seeks acct. law info.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

michelleT2004

What is the name of your state? Texas , corpus christi

I really don't know under what catergory this falls under. My brother has a janitorial business and the companies that hired my brothers company to clean their businesses won't pay him on time. Sometimes they'll go a whole month without paying him, cause their acct. person went on vacation, or simply because they forgot. Isn't there some sort of law against this ? He used to make these companies to sign contracts and they still did this too him, but now I don'y think he uses contracts. All I know is that he gets a lot of heat from his employees whom he is often late in paying and late in paying his bills,due to others mistakes or incompetence. Thank you for any info, will be greatly appreciated.

Dandy Don

He may want to have a business law attorney look at his contract to see if it is written correctly. He should have a clause in there guaranteeing payment of the invoice in full within 3 days. He should also find out about the purchase order process each company has--usually if he calls the company in advance of doing the work to get a purchase order, when he submits the bill with the purchase order number on it the bill will get paid faster.

He will also need to contact a collections attorney (or maybe the business law attorney could provide a referral) on how to collect the money that is owed now. He should seriously consider sending each company a threatening letter to take them to small claims court if the amount owed is not paid within 3 days--companies will usually go ahead and pay because they know if it goes to court they will have to pay additional fees.

JETX

And of course, 'Dandy Don's' answer was NOT responsive at all to your questions.
So, lets try to get you some ACCURATE answers:

michelleT2004 said:
Isn't there some sort of law against this ?
No. Your brother has the right to expect payment for services rendered and can even ask that payment be made promptly. However, there is no statute that would force the 'client' to comply.

Your brothers option is to sue for payment, and/or simply decide to not do work for that slow-pay client.

he gets a lot of heat from his employees whom he is often late in paying and late in paying his bills,due to others mistakes or incompetence.
If your brother is relying on prompt payment from his customers in order to pay his own employees or suppliers, it sounds like he is under funded. Simply, his obligations to HIS people has nothing to do with the obligation for his customer(s) to pay HIM promptly.

Dandy Don

I stand by my advice. JETX's malicious response reveals her unfamiliarity with business law and accounting principles. A vendor has the right to specify payment terms.

Another option would be to ask for payment in advance.

JETX

Dandy Don said:
A vendor has the right to specify payment terms.
And as expected, your ignorance of the facts is showing!!

In this case, the services have already been provided and the 'customers' are slow-pays.

The thing you are missing here (and you seem to miss a LOT in your error filled posts), is that the vendor has NO right to specify payment terms AFTER THE FACT!!! That makes your post of POST contract 'advice' incorrect.... and of NO relevance to this writers issue.

What a twit.... and nitwit!!

HomeGuru

Dandy Don said:
I stand by my advice. JETX's malicious response reveals her unfamiliarity with business law and accounting principles. A vendor has the right to specify payment terms.

Another option would be to ask for payment in advance.

**A: oh brother, Pansie Don you're at it again. What lame responses and obvious lack of understanding of the thread subject.

Dandy Don

Silly, I never said that payment terms were to be specified AFTER THE FACT--those were your misguided words. I was referring to future clients that this vendor would be contacting for future business.

Last edited:

JETX

Dandy Don said:
Silly, I never said that payment terms were to be specified AFTER THE FACT--those were your misguided words. I was referring to future clients that this vendor would be contacting for future business.
Then, your post was even less responsive.

So, you didn't answer the simple question(s) asked by the OP, but instead just decided to venture out into the world of 'what if' to create an imaginary situation????
Wow!!! You must be great fun during a conversation with your constant 'mental wandering' into imaginary scenarios! :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">