• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

People bought Travel Trailer 15 months ago and still haven't pick it up!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

autumnmoon59

What is the name of your state? Nevada
I'm not sure if this is the right forum but it's the closest I could find.
In May 2003, my father put hisTravel Trailer in my yard while he tried to sell it. A couple came down and looked at it and decieded to buy around the middle of May 2003. They said they didn't have a way to tow it home at that time, but said they'd be back for it in 1 1/2 weeks, if that was okay. I said yes. A couple of weeks went by and they still hadn't either called, or shown up for it, so at the end of June 2003, I had my father call them to find out what was going on. My father told them when he called that they needed to come pick up the trailer by August 1, 2003 because I didn't want it in my front yard. They told him they would pick it up before that time, but they still never showed up, and they didn't call either. Over the next six months or so both my father and I tried to contact them numerous times, but neither one of us was able to reach them. In March 2004 I called the DMV to find out what I could do about the "abandoned Travel Trailer" in my yard. After being on the phone for almost an hour, I was told I couldn't really do anything. I couldn't claim it as abandoned for myself, and couldn't even leaglly move it out of my front yard into my back yard. I was told to send them a Registared letter asking them to pick up the trailer immediately. The DMV also told me that I could and should charge them a monthly storage fee for every month it has been left on my property. I sent the Registared letter, the post office tried to deliver it six times before it was sent back to me "Undelivered". I called the DMV again, and they suggested I try to send them another Registared letter, or I could either 1) hire a private Investagator to find them, or 2) Call a towing company and have the trailer towed off my property. I would have to pay for all expenses and charges to do either of these, so I didn't do neither. In May 2004, I left the state on a three week vacation, and while I was gone the people called my work and talked to a Co-worker. They told him they had been in Mexico for nine months, and had just got home. My co-worker told them I was on vacation for three weeks, but they continued to call while I was gone, and by the time I got back they had stopped calling. I never did return their calls, I figured they knew where the trailer was, so they'd just show up and get it. They still never showed up for it, and I didn't hear from them until last week (August 2004). I received a letter from a legal help place, saying their client has now returned from being out of the country, and have tried to get ahold of me, but I been unavailable, and they would now like to pick up their Travel Trailer. Then the letter went on to say . . . they demand that I write back and give them my address so they can come pick up the trailer. Okay... #1 - they were asked 15 months ago to come and pick up the trailer, but they decided to go to Mexico for nine months instead. #2 - I was only unavailable for 3 weeks out of the last 15 months that the trailer has been on my property. #3 - I haven't moved the trailer an inch from where it was when they bought it. These people bought a Travel Trailer for $3,500.00 from my father, then decided to leave it on my property, without my permission, and without say a word to my father or me, and took off to Mexico for nine months. Now it seems they can't even remember where they left the trailer! I think they did this because they were trying to avoid paying storage fees to a license storage place. My question is can I leagally charge them a monthly storage fee for the 15 months it has been in my yard like I was told by the DMV? And can I demand that they have to pay me when they come to pick up the trailer? Any advice is greatly appricated.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">