• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Evading, no insurance, following too close

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pyroman6x9

What is the name of your state? Connecticut

I was travelling on local highway 84 when traffic slowed to about 25-30mph, the car (newer lexus suv) in front of me abruptly stopped, I hit my brakes & all 4 wheels locked & I slid into the back of the lexus. Which caused a chain reaction lexus hit car in front & that car hit car in front. No parties were injured. As I had no insurance I panicked & fled the scene. Low & behold the police hunted me down & issued me a promise to appear. I am being charged with 14-213b (no insurance) 14-224 (evasion of responcibility) 14-240 (following too close). The punishment for this can be $275-$1750 in fines, up to a year in prison, & up to a 6 year liscence suspension. Does any have any advice for me? Would they throw someone in jail who has a clean criminal record & driving record for traffic crimes? Should I get a lawyer? Public defender good enough? Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks,
A good driver who made a huge mistake.

cmorris

Why didn't you have insurance???

Hope you get the max. What would you have done if someone had died? You do deserve to go to jail.

Driving is NOT a right.

P

Pyroman6x9

I had no insurance as i am currently unemployed due to the BS job market in CT. Thanks for noting LUZER.

CdwJava

COULD you go to jail? Probably. WILL you go to jail? Probably not.

A public defender will likely be sufficient. And chances are you will have to pay out fines and restitution as well as likely lose your license.

If you cannot afford the responsibility of driving (such as maintaining insurance), you should not be driving. I'm afraid you will not get much comfort from those here ... probably because most of us do not evade those responsibilities.

Good luck.

Carl

Tayla

Pyroman6x9 said:
I had no insurance as i am currently unemployed due to the BS job market in CT. Thanks for noting LUZER.
First may I point out the following since you are new to the forum and need to read this: "Please Include your state, be civil, brief, and to the point, and use lower case letters."

The be civil part is there for a reason. As to answering your post, YES get a lawyer. Yes you can serve time. Yes others can sue you . Yes your license can be revoked. Yes you can learn from your mistakes. Yes fines can be accured. And yes Cmorris deserves an apology from you. You may not have liked his/her advice but at least a response was given that was of value.

P

Pyroman6x9

Thanks Carl.

I've never been in trouble for anything in my life not even a parking ticket. I've had seven cars & never lapsed in coveraged, I've just fallen into a rut & it's getting deeper & harder to get out. These processes are all new to me. I was even looking into becoming a police officer myself but I guess my chances of that are now gonna be slim to none.

P

Pyroman6x9

Sorry everyone, I'm just freakin out. I'm an honest guy who's never been in such a low place & I defininetly don't want to go to jail! I just made the BIGGEST MISTAKE in my life, and yes your all right I should not have driven without insurance but that limits my job prospects. Oh well, I hope no one finds themselves on my shoes because it's a terrible place to be.

rmet4nzkx

I was hit by a truck with no insurance and the driver didn't have a license, that event changed my life, do you want to know my opinion?

BTW I don't drive anymore and get along just fine.

cmorris

By leaving the scene of an accident, that leads me to believe you were hoping you wouldn't get caught. I have no sympathy for someone who tries to escape responsibility. When you left, you didn't know if anyone was hurt or not. I'm sure you would have slept soundly if you hadn't been caught (no conscience).

While I understand being unemployed, that does not make your reason an exception. Couldn't you take a bus or taxi? Have someone drive you to and from? If none of these could have applied, I guess it would have just limited your job market. BTW, I am a single mother, in college, and am about as poor as they come. And I have yet to be w/o coverage or even late with the payments. Do I need to mention it is full-coverage insurance?

Expect some civil suits against you from the other drivers.

And if you expect someone here to tell you how to get out of this mess, forget it.

Last edited:

CdwJava

Pyroman6x9 said:
Thanks Carl.

I've never been in trouble for anything in my life not even a parking ticket. I've had seven cars & never lapsed in coveraged, I've just fallen into a rut & it's getting deeper & harder to get out. These processes are all new to me. I was even looking into becoming a police officer myself but I guess my chances of that are now gonna be slim to none.
Pretty slim. You would need a lot of years and a lot of very awesome responsible and reliable behavior to overcome this maneuver.

Two of the key issues that they try to look for in a law enforcement background is maturity and responsibility ... this demonstrates a lack of both.

Face up to your responsibility now and do what you have to do to make this right. No matter what you choose to do in life, you have to look at yourself in the mirror every day.

Carl

P

Pyroman6x9

Sorry again Cmorris. I totally understand you point of view. I'm not here to make excuses for myself, BTW i do have a conscience. The accident occured at speeds less than 15MPH and damage was minimal. Also if your as poor as they come why do you need full coverage? That implies that you have a new car. If you have a new car (unless it's a toyota echo or kia) then how are you poor? I'm driving a $400 car that I saved from the crusher & dumped time & money into (BTW it's a TURBO!!). And it never fails to start.... Poor, new car, full coverage???????????????

rmet4nzkx

Pyroman6x9 said:
Sorry again Cmorris. I totally understand you point of view. I'm not here to make excuses for myself, BTW i do have a conscience. The accident occured at speeds less than 15MPH and damage was minimal. Also if your as poor as they come why do you need full coverage? That implies that you have a new car. If you have a new car (unless it's a toyota echo or kia) then how are you poor? I'm driving a $400 car that I saved from the crusher & dumped time & money into (BTW it's a TURBO!!). And it never fails to start.... Poor, new car, full coverage???????????????
So the fact that you drive a junker absolves you, if you have unemployment you can get minimal insurance liuability only for your $400 car, is your UI has run out you can find work or take the bus.

Happy Trails

**You know what baffles me, is why would you flee when you know that they are going to track you down? And it can't just be the insurance thing because you would have been caught without it anyway. Were you impaired in anyway and needed a chance to sober up?

rmet4nzkx

Happy Trails said:
**You know what baffles me, is why would you flee when you know that they are going to track you down? And it can't just be the insurance thing because you would have been caught without it anyway. Were you impaired in anyway and needed a chance to sober up?
and too drunk to report it stolen :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">