• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Info on joining the Air Force

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lucky4you14340

What is the name of your state? Florida

I'm 17 years old, with a child, and i am married to a person in the Army. I'm desperatly trying to obtain a divorce, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen before i turn 18. I have questions about several things.

1. Would the Air Force be willing to help me obtain a divorce before i join or shortly after? Would they help me gain full custody, or does all this have to be done prior to joining?

2. I have long since cut ties with my family, so how would the custody deal work? Would I be able to turn custody over to the man that has been more than a wonderful father to her since before she was born, even though we are not married?

3. I had to drop out of high school, so would the air force help me get that education, or is that another thing that i have to have prior.

Please keep in mind that i am not ignorant, I was very bright in school and went very far, I just made a couple of less-than-wise decisions that put me in the situation I am in. I grew up military, so i'm not completely lost on the terms and regulations that go along with it, but i'm no genius and still have several questions. If anyone could help me out and tell me anything other than "talk to JAG" I would greatly appreciate it. JAG views its purpose for military personnel only. They are there for their people not the civillians, trust me, more than once I've dealt with them, and more than once they've sent me on a wild goose chase that dead-ended. So please, anyone who might be able to shed some light on my questions, or help me find the right questions to ask when i go into talk to a recruiter i would be really grateful...THANKS!!

carofl93

I'm not a lawyer...just a military spouse, and I have some answers for you.
The Air Force will not help you get your divorce or full custody of your child. They do on occasion help out with traffic citations, but will not jump in on major legal matter. If you do join the Air Force or any military service and you have a child, you will be required to have a person who can take care of your child at a moment's notice. They may help you obtain a GED depending on the need for more service members...right now the Army needs more people than anyone else...my husband is Air Force with 18 years in, and he said that the recruiters are sitting on their thumbs with the stoploss in effect.
As for you wanting to "give custody" to a man who is not the biological father...that will be a long hard legal battle because technically the bio dad has more rights to the child than your friend does. I believe that would take a TPR, and they are very hard to get as there are many things that have to happen before you can even consider TPR.
You are 100% correct about the JAG. They can't help you at all unless you are serving in the military. One thing you might want to do is go in and talk to a recruiter...they are more than willing to help you out by answering all of your questions...just part of their job.
I wish you luck in getting out of your bad situation and commend you for wanting to join the military to make a better life for yourself and your child.

Carol

fatboy95

1. Although I am not a part of the JAG I am pretty certian that the AF will do nothing for you in this matter. It is a private thing and if anything it may keep you from being able to join.
2. Need to get a lawyer for that.
3. I am currently in the AF and I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but you are really going to have a hard time getting in the AF without a highschool diploma or GED. The AF is in the middle of Discharging over 20,000 people due to roll backs.

I wish I could be more help for you but maybe you should check into the Army. The AF has a program called "Blue to Green". Anyone that wants out in this program will be transfered to the Army.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">