• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jd15236

What is the name of your state?PA
my wife was recently fired from her job, they said it was green points(aka S & H green points) fraud, can she sue them ,even tho they are a corporate run bussiness?? thanks

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Please clarify.

Your wife was fired for alleged fraud. She wants to sue them. For what? For firing her? For saying the word fraud?

I don't understand what you're getting at.

J

jd15236

yes for firing her, she was a cashier and from the way the store talked cashiers couldn't use the rewards card, while on duty, but the thing is she didn't use her card , she had typed in her mother's telephone number to help the person that was in her line and it showed that my wifes name on the display screen, just because it showed her name on it, do they have the right to fire her and say it was fraud??

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, they have the right to fire her. PA, like every other state except Montana (and even including Montana in some circumstances) is an at-will state, which means that she can quit for any reason at all, and they can fire her for any reason which does not violate the law.

If they believe that she committed fraud, they are within their rights to fire her EVEN IF THEY ARE MISTAKEN. That does not violate any law.

Based on the facts in your post, she has no cause of action to sue.

J

jd15236

fired and quit

but like i said she typed in her mother telephone number and it showed that my wifes name was on there, but does that mean she frauded them out of the green points, they said she used her card, wouldn't that make a difference,, i mean she didn't steal money or products from the store, she only typed in her mothers telephone number to help out the costomer, the policy that the store had was to get the costomer out as quckly as possible and that is what she was doing not for her but for them????But what you are saying that companies or people can tell a lie about someone and get them fired and we can't sue that company or that person for slander???i read on another web page, i don't remember which one , but it said that we you or i can sue anyone, is that true or is that a lie????

J

jd15236

quiting

on the part about quiting , that is for me, i quit my job at the same place that my wife worked at, i quit on account of my hours were being cut every week and then raised and then cut again, can i claim for full unemployment on the basis of my hours being cut???

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is true that anyone can sue anyone for anything. That doesn't mean you'll win. Based on the information in your post, you would lose.

It doesn't matter if she actually defrauded them or not; if they BELIEVE she did, they are legally allowed to fire her. Even if they are mistaken and she didn't defraud a thing.

You do not have a wrongful termination case based on the facts of your post.

As for a slander case, in order to have a case for slander, the burden of proof would be on you to prove ALL of the following:

First, that what they said was FALSE. In other words, that they KNEW she hadn't committed fraud but said so anyway. You don't have a suit for slander if they misunderstood. YOU have to prove that they deliberately accused her of committing fraud, KNOWING that she had not.

Second, that they broadcast this to an audience. It's not enough for them to say it to her; they have to have said it to someone else, who is not a "party in interest" to the situation. In other words, it's not enough for them to have said it to her supervisor, or someone in HR. YOU have to prove that they told someone totally unconnected with the situation, that she committed fraud. If they didn't, it's not slander.

Third, that as a direct result of their telling this hypothetical third person about the alleged fraud, she suffered damages. YOU have to prove that BECAUSE they told SOMEONE ELSE that she committed fraud, she lost the chance at a new job or in some other way was damaged.

The company doesn't have to prove a thing in this case. Are you prepared to spend money on a lawyer to prove all of the above?

As to whether or not you can claim unemployment, that depends on the laws of your state. However, in the large majority of cases, they're not going to pay you to quit a job. If you'd stayed on the job and claimed partial benefits because your hours were cut, in many states you'd have qualified. But since you quit, thus ensuring that you had NO pay instead of SOME pay, in most states you will NOT be able to get unemployment at all. You can file a claim and see what happens, but the likelihood is that you'll be denied.

J

jd15236

thats bs

every thing i have stated is is the truth, yet nothing for me and my wife, it's all for the companies, as regular people, we don't have a chance,the laws are for the big companies and the hell with the people,and they say it's a free country , yeah right for who not for us, we work ours butts off and for what so that the companies get richer and richer and all the time we suffer, and as far as my my wife and i , it has hurt us because of them firing her and my quiting, we my lose our car and home, but thats still not enough , by your standards to sue this damn company, all the rights are for them as i said not for us, thanks for the help, such as it was

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">