• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

emergency c-section due to auto accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mommie2aaa

What is the name of your state? Missouri
Two years ago, while driving my 3 children, myself and my mother, we were hit from behind (the driver was following too close per the police report). I immediately started having contractions and pain in my abdomen (I was 9 mos pregnant). I took my family to the ER. After observation I was immediately transferred up to the labor and deliv. floor. While being monitored, my son went into fetal distress, we kept losing his heartbeat after each contraction. The attending performed an emergency c-section. Now I had 3 previous normal deliveries, no complications or problems..had been to the ob 2 days prior was told everything was fine. My hospital release papers stated (emerg. c-section due to mva). We retained a lawyer..well after two years we received our first "offer" from the opposing insurance company--$15,000. My hosp bills alone were in the area of $6-8,000. I am not sure if this is fair, my lawyer doesnt seem to be really pushing..Question is: Is this a fair amount? and/ or Should I or can I retain a different lawyer this late in the process?? any and all help would be greatly appreciated...

Sincerely,

Stacie

rmet4nzkx

Satcie,
This is something you should be discussing with your attorney. There is no simple answer. Is your attorney one that specializes in personal injury? Have you discussed merrits of your case with your attorney and if he isn't pushing, why? Usually there is a counter offer they would know better than we, perhaps they are reassessing at this point because, besides the medical costs, you also have legal costs. Is there any longterm injury? I have seen a first offer of $5K for a case with permenant damage settling for $100K but depending on the costs of the case much of the settlement might be eaten up by costs of experts etc. Talk to your attorney.

stephenk

that's only the initial offer. what has your attorney demanded? other than the c-section were you injured in any other way? was the baby injured?

M

mommie2aaa

Thank you for the help. My lawyer said he asked for maximum policy limits which is $100,000. Of course I understand we wont get that, not expecting that much. I did have a neck injury, and my oldest daughter and mother both got neck and spinal (minor) injuries. The baby, thank god, did not have any adverse problems due to the injury. So I guess I will just wait it out and see what happens. thanks stacie

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">