• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Broken into at Exhaust Shop!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

ef200098

Missouri

Ok here goes. I live down in Cape Girrardeau MO about 100 miles south of st. louis. My girlfriend and my best friend were going to get my exhaust done on my car as a birthday gift. They took the car to the exhaust shop in barnheart MO (20 miles south of st. louis), wednesday. They left the car there, and the exhaust was completed on wednesday night. My girlfriend goes to pay and pick up the car on thursday, she gives the guy his 170 for the exhaust, and signs the recipt then goes outside to look at it and it is done totally wrong. AFter fussing and argueing with the owner of the shop, they agree that he is going to fix it for a small fee. he doesn't get to getting the exhaust fixed untill thursday night, to late for it to get picked up then... my girlfriend comes down to cape on friday morning. and chris my buddy is going to pay for the car because they are closed on saturday and sunday and i wanted my car this weekend. Chris gets to the exhaust shop right when they are closing up on friday. and pays the fee that was settled upon eirlier. he gives the owner $30, the fee that they agreed on. But i didn't want chris to drive the car down to cape because i was coming back to st. louis anyways and i would just get it then. so Chris tells the owner of the shop that he wouldn't be able to pick up the car until saturday, the owner says that thats fine and he even pulled the car up next to his building. then he handed my buddy the keys and they talked for about 30 min about the car.

I recieve a call from an officer in jefferson county stating that my car was broken into over the night and that some stuff was stolen from inside the car. the owner and i both gave a written statement, mine basically stated what the damage was and what was stolen.

I am wondering if he is liable for this robbery. Even tho we signed the recipt, he took on a second job to fix his mistake that he made in the first place, and he agreed to keep the car on the lot friday night. he even drove the car up next to his building. then handed my buddy the keys.

to tell u the truth i think he even stole all the crap out of my car about $2000 worth of stuff stolen in audio and engine management.

JETX

ef200098 said:
I am wondering if he is liable for this robbery. Even tho we signed the recipt, he took on a second job to fix his mistake that he made in the first place, and he agreed to keep the car on the lot friday night.
Nope. Neither the mechanic nor the shop are liable, nor more so than your friend leaving the car in a parking lot, or on the street overnight.
File a police report and turn the claim in on your insurance company.

E

ef200098

i dont have full coverage insurance otherwise it would have already been done

JETX

ef200098 said:
i dont have full coverage insurance otherwise it would have already been done
Than that is the risk you assume when you chose to not have full coverage insurance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">