• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorcing ones parent

• Thread starter Karel1@optonlin
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Karel1@optonlin

My niece lives in conneticut and her grandparents in ny.My sister passed away.My parents one visitation rights of one weekend a month.Now the child cries always,and is very unhappy with the father.She is l3 ,always alone and wants to come live with us.Is there such a thing as a child divorcing her parent.I know of one case in florida.Also the case at the time was in ny,butmy niece is living over 5 yrs.in conneticut.Would grandparents need to go into conneticut court.Also brother in law has connections in courtss supposedly so how can we assume grandparents would get a fair shake.Since the child is over l2 cant she tell the courts whom she wants to live with.

CdwJava

I do not believe CT allows for children to decide who they want to live with. Besides, until or unless the father loses custody, she will have to remain with him. If there is a case to remove custody from him, then I would suggest that you fork out for an attorney in CT to pursue the issue.

If he is not seen as unfit, then the girl will have to stay put.

Carl

K

Karel1@optonlin

response to cdjava

Even if the child is so unhappy,she is always alone.Eats frozen dinners.Shes just his social security check from my sisters disability.When my sister new she was dying,she made a will stating she wanted us to help him raise her.The nite we buried my sister 33 died of cancer,he told us he was taking child to the park and never came back,.We went to court l0 years ago.They found him to have a controlling disorder yet didnt demand any therapy.We got one weekend a month visitation,now shes enrolled in sports,and tells her ,the team comes first.So many times,we wait 2or 3 months to see her.When we ask her if she wants us to back into court,she cries and begs us now,now she wants to go to high school in ny,but wont ask him until end of this year.But he will say no.I just know this child is so psychologically damaged.He tells her dont tell school counselors,its none of their business.My parents spent over 92,000 already,not that they care,but we dont want her taken and put into any foster care until the courts decide which way is better,if we know she would be able to stay with us while they decided .it would be different.Its so unfair to the children.She lived right next door to us,and only knew us as a baby.She sleeps each nite with her moms picture under her pillow.We were catholic,she cant go to church or pray,its his way or the highway.I as an aunt have no rights,it just kills me seeing how unhappy this child is.My parents lost 2 children from cancer,im the only one left,and im not in great health.But this is killing them,and me knowing this child is so unhappy,always alone,sleeps over different peoples houses.She says he could not care less.Yet shes so scared of him in a crazy way.Hes always having happy hour parties,yet she is not telling us everything.I just wish there was something we can do without rustling his feathers as it just makes it bad for her.The laws are so unfair,I thought if the child in nys was between l2 and l4 they can tell a judge whom they want to be with.Forgive me for going on,its just too much to bear.Losing my sisters,and seeing my niece so unhappy.Its bad enough she has no mom.Sometimes you wonder about god.Why the innocent children always pay the price for parents stupidity.Thank you for your help.its greatly appreciated. : :: :

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
If he's interfering with court-ordered visitation, then your parents could file against him for contempt. Would they by any chance be able to move closer to your niece? How long ago did her mother pass? Has she had any grief counseling?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">