• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking lot collision

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KCWM

What is the name of your state? Texas

I was traveling west to east in the parking lot of a grocery store. The other car was traveling north to south down along one of the aisles where people park. There is no stop/yield/caution sign in the parking lot to tell who is to give right of way to who. I, under the impression that the law was that the car in the aisle had to yield, entered into the intersection. Upon seeing that they were not going to yield, I slammed my brakes, causing me to hit th back passenger door instead of the front passenger door.

We exchanged info and when I called my insurance company, the girl taking the claim stated that "in most cases, the person in the aisle is at fault because they are supposed to yield" yada yada yada.

I was curious as to what anyone else might know about this. I tried to google it, but my searches returned nothing.

Thanks

racer72

It doesn't matter who was in the aisle and who wasn't. As far as I know in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, the vehicle entering an uncontrolled intersection from the right always has the right of way. And all uncontrolled intersections are to be treated as if there is a yield sign. Based on your description you appear to be not at fault but don't be surprised if even your own insurance tosses some of the blame your way.

KCWM

Thanks for the responses.

Even if they place some blame on me, my only real concern is the incident not going on my record. I don't even care if the color of the front bumper matches. If it doesn't, I'd just throw the bra on it. Haha, I drive a sports car, so insurance is a killer as it is. I can only imagine what an at-fault accident would add to that.

Sadly, with this being a holiday weekend, I won't know anything until Tuesday or Wednesday.

Thanks again for the responses. It's interesting to know that about uncontrolled intersections. Imagine a + as the intersection. I came in at the left side of the + and they came in at the top of it.

And to the 2nd post...none at all. No stop signs or stop lines.

Here's to hoping for the best, in my favor of course ;)

Happy Trails

KCWM said:
Thanks for the responses.

Even if they place some blame on me, my only real concern is the incident not going on my record. I don't even care if the color of the front bumper matches. If it doesn't, I'd just throw the bra on it. Haha, I drive a sports car, so insurance is a killer as it is. I can only imagine what an at-fault accident would add to that.

Sadly, with this being a holiday weekend, I won't know anything until Tuesday or Wednesday.

Thanks again for the responses. It's interesting to know that about uncontrolled intersections. Imagine a + as the intersection. I came in at the left side of the + and they came in at the top of it.

And to the 2nd post...none at all. No stop signs or stop lines.

Here's to hoping for the best, in my favor of course ;)
**When approaching any intersection one needs to be attentive to anything that may be going through. But the car to the right does have 'right of way'. So most people are looking to the right for any oncoming traffic. But the insurance company may consider that he already had control of the intersection.

Good luck!

CdwJava

racer72 said:
It doesn't matter who was in the aisle and who wasn't. As far as I know in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, the vehicle entering an uncontrolled intersection from the right always has the right of way. And all uncontrolled intersections are to be treated as if there is a yield sign. Based on your description you appear to be not at fault but don't be surprised if even your own insurance tosses some of the blame your way.
Well, in CA an "intersection" in a parking lot doesn't count as an intersection. So at least in 1 of those 50 states, there would be no legal obligation to yield on arriving at the parking lot intersection. However, common sense might dictate stopping was the safe thing to do ... our law does not make it the required thing.

Carl

racer72

CdwJava said:
Well, in CA an "intersection" in a parking lot doesn't count as an intersection. So at least in 1 of those 50 states, there would be no legal obligation to yield on arriving at the parking lot intersection. However, common sense might dictate stopping was the safe thing to do ... our law does not make it the required thing.

Carl
I will be willing to guess the insurance companies will use California state laws in determining liability. I was involved in a minor accident in a San Francisco parking lot about 3 years ago. the other party's insurance company accepted liability based on California traffic laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">