• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor cleared a natural wooded buffer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ultane

What is the name of your state?MO

My neighbor informed me about 2-3 months ago that he was going to clear a undeveloped lot that he owned that abuts my property...the lot was naturally wooded having been undeveloped for about 15 years...hickory, oak even some dogwood trees and other naturally occurring flora. This wooded area served as a natural buffer, essentially providing seclusion and blocked view of other houses and also provided to contain run-off onto my driveway.

At the time my neighbor informed me of his intentions to clear the lot, I informed him quite emphatically, that I did not desire ANY of the trees etc on my property to be removed. I wanted the buffer contained on my land to remain.

I went on vacation for a week, and when I returned, I found that he had in fact cleared THE ENTIRE LOT. I queried as to whether he had had the land surveyed BEFORE clearing the lot (since I knew that he extended onto my property), especially considering that I had previously told him I specifically did not want my land encroached upon. He did not.

To make it short, after having the land surveyed, he cleared on my land a 5 ft wide, 85 ft long stretch that contained various trees and flora. I now have full view of other houses, an out-of-code golf net and an overall eyesore. To make matters worse, now every time it rains, I get inches of mud in my driveway that clogs my drains and leads to water (and mud) entering my garage due to the runoff from the now cleared lot.

I have discussed the issue with my neighbor. He recommended a local landscaper to get an estimate for replacing the buffer, which I did. When he was presented with the estimate, he offerred to pay "for half". He is an attorney (figures) and has installed an unsightly silt screen to help with the runoff, but has refused to pay for the replacement of the trees etc.

I have talked to certified foresters in the area, who say they cannot help since the land is already cleared and they cannot attest to what was taken out. I have considered getting my house re-appraised, but really, how much of a real estate appraisal is due to landscaping? Then again, all I want is the buffer/trees replaced.

Questions:

1. How do you get a fair value estimate for a tree? Say a 4-5" diam Hickory tree? It can't be replaced. How can I estimate what was taken?

2. Is a real estate appraisal reasonable? It would certainly cost money. The appraised value of my house is $450,000, so even a small percentage would be significant.

3. I would like to handle this through small claims court, but since the defendant IS an attorney, should I get one to represent me? I'm not sure the cost justifies that.

This is really frustrating, and it's ridiculous. Any advice would be received and considered...thanks!

HomeGuru

Ultane said:
What is the name of your state?MO

My neighbor informed me about 2-3 months ago that he was going to clear a undeveloped lot that he owned that abuts my property...the lot was naturally wooded having been undeveloped for about 15 years...hickory, oak even some dogwood trees and other naturally occurring flora. This wooded area served as a natural buffer, essentially providing seclusion and blocked view of other houses and also provided to contain run-off onto my driveway.

At the time my neighbor informed me of his intentions to clear the lot, I informed him quite emphatically, that I did not desire ANY of the trees etc on my property to be removed. I wanted the buffer contained on my land to remain.

I went on vacation for a week, and when I returned, I found that he had in fact cleared THE ENTIRE LOT. I queried as to whether he had had the land surveyed BEFORE clearing the lot (since I knew that he extended onto my property), especially considering that I had previously told him I specifically did not want my land encroached upon. He did not.

To make it short, after having the land surveyed, he cleared on my land a 5 ft wide, 85 ft long stretch that contained various trees and flora. I now have full view of other houses, an out-of-code golf net and an overall eyesore. To make matters worse, now every time it rains, I get inches of mud in my driveway that clogs my drains and leads to water (and mud) entering my garage due to the runoff from the now cleared lot.

I have discussed the issue with my neighbor. He recommended a local landscaper to get an estimate for replacing the buffer, which I did. When he was presented with the estimate, he offerred to pay "for half". He is an attorney (figures) and has installed an unsightly silt screen to help with the runoff, but has refused to pay for the replacement of the trees etc.

I have talked to certified foresters in the area, who say they cannot help since the land is already cleared and they cannot attest to what was taken out. I have considered getting my house re-appraised, but really, how much of a real estate appraisal is due to landscaping? Then again, all I want is the buffer/trees replaced.

Questions:

1. How do you get a fair value estimate for a tree? Say a 4-5" diam Hickory tree? It can't be replaced. How can I estimate what was taken?

**A: hire a surveyor to mark your property then a certified arborist or a landscape architect to list the tree type, location, amount and value.

2. Is a real estate appraisal reasonable? It would certainly cost money. The appraised value of my house is $450,000, so even a small percentage would be significant.

**A: I do not think an appraisal is neeeded although you may get one.
3. I would like to handle this through small claims court, but since the defendant IS an attorney, should I get one to represent me? I'm not sure the cost justifies that.

**A: this is not a small claims court type case since the value exceeds the small claims threshold.
This is really frustrating, and it's ridiculous. Any advice would be received and considered...thanks!
**A: hire an attorney that acts like a pitbull.

Ultane

Thanks for your opinion.

At this point, being totally frustrated, I think I am ready to consult with an attorney.

I thought this could have been worked out between us, but apparently that is not going to be the case. I told him I wanted the buffer replaced, he told me he took "nothing out of value". I told him it was kind of disingenuous to take out stuff on my land, and then claim it was worthless to begin with to lessen his liability.

When I asked what he was going to do finally (after discussing this with him for over a month) he said I was being unreasonable in my demands that he pay for the entire replacement (the cost was just under $2000 per the landscaping guy....very reasonable in my book). I told him if he would not replace the removed items willingly, I would look into legal options to make him do so...and he stated "I have more ammunition in that area than you do".

Unbelievable!

Ultane

Thanks again!

I am going to send him a certified letter, rrr, that he declare his intent to provide reparations or repair. Give him week or two to respond.

Then, I will contact an attorney.

Sound good?

Ultane

Thanks again..

I have another question though if you do not mind...

What I had previously was a visual buffer of naturally growing foliage and trees...no maintenance was necessary except for occasional trimming/spraying etc. This also, as I stated, controlled any runoff from his lot.

Would my neighbor's liability be limited to the estimated value of the stuff he removed? Or would he have to bear the cost of re-establishing the conditions that existed if the cost to do so was more than the value of the trees/foliage etc that he removed? In this case I believe that the value of the stuff removed might not cover the cost of reestablishing the conditions that existed prior to my neighbor removing the buffer...it contained naturally occurring "woods" stuff and was not actively managed or planted.

Thanks.

HomeGuru

Ultane said:
Thanks again..

I have another question though if you do not mind...

What I had previously was a visual buffer of naturally growing foliage and trees...no maintenance was necessary except for occasional trimming/spraying etc. This also, as I stated, controlled any runoff from his lot.

Would my neighbor's liability be limited to the estimated value of the stuff he removed? Or would he have to bear the cost of re-establishing the conditions that existed if the cost to do so was more than the value of the trees/foliage etc that he removed? In this case I believe that the value of the stuff removed might not cover the cost of reestablishing the conditions that existed prior to my neighbor removing the buffer...it contained naturally occurring "woods" stuff and was not actively managed or planted.

Thanks.
**A: good question and my first response was general in nature so as to stay out of specifics and technicalities. In additon to the actual loss of tree and vegetation value, there would be loss of value that the buffer gave to the real property and cost of creating the condition that previously existed with respect to the drainage/run-off etc.
So in the complaint, there would be a listing of each count.

Last edited:

Ultane

HomeGuru said:
**A: good question and my first response was general in nature so as to stay out of specifics and technicalities. In additon to the actual loss of tree and vegetaion value, there would be loss of value that the buffer gave to the real property and cost of creating the condition that previously existed with respect to the drainage/run-off etc.
So in the complaint, there would be a listing of each count.
Thanks, that what I thought.

My dilemma is that I really do not want to make a big deal about this...if he would install the stuff reccommended in the estimate he asked me to get, the total would be less than $2000, and as such, it would probably belong in small claims court. It would be years until the same visual effects were produced, but the guy made a mistake and I can live with that IF HE PAYS TO CORRECT IT TO MY SATISFACTION. The question is, do I want to go to small claims court unrepresented considering the defendant is a lawyer?

If I do hire an attorney (which is where I believe I'm headed), then do I demand "full restitution" in terms of recouping the cost of reestablishing the conditions that existed prior to his trespass etc.? I am sure this would cost more than $2000, and takes me out of small claims court. Like I said, I am trying not to be unreasonable here...I just want the situation corrected in a reasonable manner, and I beleive that I should bear no financial burden in correction process.

And, what about the company that did the actual work? Are they immune to legal involvement due to the fact that were acting on my neighbor's wishes?

I sincerely appreciate your time and advice. If you ever need any advice regarding anticipated surgical procedures and/or anesthetics (I am an anesthesiologist) get a hold of me through this forum...I'd be glad to return the favor.

HomeGuru

Ultane said:

My dilemma is that I really do not want to make a big deal about this...if he would install the stuff reccommended in the estimate he asked me to get, the total would be less than $2000, and as such, it would probably belong in small claims court. It would be years until the same visual effects were produced, but the guy made a mistake and I can live with that IF HE PAYS TO CORRECT IT TO MY SATISFACTION. The question is, do I want to go to small claims court unrepresented considering the defendant is a lawyer?

If I do hire an attorney (which is where I believe I'm headed), then do I demand "full restitution" in terms of recouping the cost of reestablishing the conditions that existed prior to his trespass etc.? I am sure this would cost more than $2000, and takes me out of small claims court. Like I said, I am trying not to be unreasonable here...I just want the situation corrected in a reasonable manner, and I beleive that I should bear no financial burden in correction process.

**A: yes, demand full and total. In my estimation, the amount of damages and loss exceeds the small claims threshold. And at least see an attorney.
And, what about the company that did the actual work? Are they immune to legal involvement due to the fact that were acting on my neighbor's wishes?

**A: you have no gripe with them.

I sincerely appreciate your time and advice. If you ever need any advice regarding anticipated surgical procedures and/or anesthetics (I am an anesthesiologist) get a hold of me through this forum...I'd be glad to return the favor.
**A: yes, I will need your help in the future with some doses in helping to deal with some of the writers on this website.

rmet4nzkx

Ultane said:

You have several issues here, in replacing what was lost, the vegetation and the drainage and their impact on the value of your property, enjoyment and the time to return it to it's previous state. While it may cost $2,000 to replace with small plants, you have to let them grow and a choice whether to replace with the same varieties or quicker growing varieties or full/same size plants. That being the case you leave small claims court. There should still be some provision to properly drain the runoff until the grounds are functionally restored because just sticking new plants, even full sized one's which would be expensive, will take time for the ground cover and root systems to aclimate.

The contractor will have some responsibility for this and you have already taken about every step that can be done to resolve this starting with informing him you didn't want your land cleared and he cleared it while you were away. Since you have a survey, be sure to have you property lines clearly marked, the contractor should have done that or at least consulted the survey prior to their work.

I would think that both the neighbor's homeowner's and the conteractor's insurance would cover them so consult an attorney with your survey, estimates and get an estimate for a drainage system and full sized trees etc and estimated loss in value from a RE appraiser.

Ultane

Thank you, thank you, thank you...

I have made an appointment to have a certified forester evaluate the area to attempt to assess what trees were removed to try and assess the damage. After his visit, I will then decide whether to proceed with another real estate appraisal.

I also have another landscape guy coming over to give me another estimate for replacing the buffer, with the thought that the buffer provide runoff protection.

Based on these "visits", I plan to contact a lawyer later in the week.

If I go to court, either small claims or other, can I ask for restitution for the expenses involved in proving my case (like the fees for the forester, real estate appraisal etc) in addition to the cost of the damage?

rmet4nzkx

Ultane said:
Thank you, thank you, thank you...

I have made an appointment to have a certified forester evaluate the area to attempt to assess what trees were removed to try and assess the damage. After his visit, I will then decide whether to proceed with another real estate appraisal.

I also have another landscape guy coming over to give me another estimate for replacing the buffer, with the thought that the buffer provide runoff protection.

Based on these "visits", I plan to contact a lawyer later in the week.

If I go to court, either small claims or other, can I ask for restitution for the expenses involved in proving my case (like the fees for the forester, real estate appraisal etc) in addition to the cost of the damage?
These are questions you can ask your attorney when you consult and decide which way to go based on your latest cost estimates. I have a feeling this is going to be more than small claims.

mm447

I went through similar situation with my neighbor. Fortunately it ended amicably but you may want to check your state's law regarding the removal of trees belonging to someone else. I found during my limited research of the subject that most states will award triple damages for damage/removal of another person's trees.

Ultane

mm447 said:
I went through similar situation with my neighbor. Fortunately it ended amicably but you may want to check your state's law regarding the removal of trees belonging to someone else. I found during my limited research of the subject that most states will award triple damages for damage/removal of another person's trees.
Thanks for the advice...

It only took about 15 minutes on the internet searching, and I found this:

Missouri Revised Statutes

Missouri Revised Statutes
Chapter 537
Torts and Actions for Damages
Section 537.340

August 28, 2003

Trespass on realty--treble damages recoverable, when.
537.340. If any person shall cut down, injure or destroy or carry away any tree placed or growing for use, shade or ornament, or any timber, rails or wood standing, being or growing on the land of any other person, including any governmental entity, or shall dig up, quarry or carry away any stones, ore or mineral, gravel, clay or mold, or any ice or other substance or material being a part of the realty, or any roots, fruits or plants, or cut down or carry away grass, grain, corn, flax or hemp in which such person has no interest or right, standing, lying or being on land not such person's own, or shall knowingly break the glass or any part of it in any building not such person's own, the person so offending shall pay to the party injured treble the value of the things so injured, broken, destroyed or carried away, with costs. Any person filing a claim for damages pursuant to this section need not prove negligence or intent.

(RSMo 1939 § 3681, A.L. 2000 H.B. 1097)
Prior revisions: 1929 § 3291; 1919 § 4242; 1909 § 5448

(1971) Measure of damages under this section is not the difference between value of land before and value of land after cutting of trees and court erred in instructing that it was and defendant therefore was not prejudiced by court's failure to instruct on definition of fair market value. Keener v. Black River Electric Cooperative (A.), 469 S.W.2d 657.

(2000) Section can be violated by either entering land wrongfully and felling trees or entering land with the landowner's consent and then exceeding the scope of that consent by felling trees without permission. Ridgway v. TTnT Development Corp., 26 S.W.3d 428 (Mo.App.S.D.).

Sounds like this applies, no?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">