• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what happens next?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

justaskinya

What is the name of your state? TX

My brother went out of town for the weekend and left me keys to his place..his car keys too..he didnt say i could drive his car but i assumed he wouldnt mind..i have in the past..but this time i had a very minor accident and the lady's car SUV had nothing but a scuff on the bumper..the cops were unimpressed..didnt take a report or anything..but we had already exchanged information..her husband wants to have thier car looked at by a mechanic..my brother's car has more damage..obviously im not on his insurance so........................what happens next? does his insurance pay if they magically come up with needed repairs? i took pictures of her car with my phone, will they be of any use? will my brothers insurance rates go up?

rmet4nzkx

Have you called you brother?
You may be covered on his insurance as a permissive driver.
Your insurance may cover you driving his car, you will have to check.
Do the other people know you may have been driving without insurance coverage or your brother's premission?
That scuff on the suv could be expensive.

J

justaskinya

yes i called my brother and there was only more bad news...this will be the 3rd strike on his policy if they file a claim and he said his insurance company will drop him..so he's trying to work something out with the couple..i dont have a car and dont have insurance either, obviously...the couple doesnt know i was driving without permission but they do know the insurance situation my brother is in now and seem very willing to work with us..and it was a metal bumper that had a scuff..it looked as though it could have been buffed right off..but looks can be decieving i suppose.......

rmet4nzkx

Well that is bad news, well they will be more than willing to work with you and your brother but it will cost you. You realize that. I'll bet your brother has some names for you that you can't print here :eek:
Have you learned any lessons out of all of this?

J

justaskinya

my brother was not really upset that i drove the car..wasnt really upset about the damage to his car which was substantially more than the SUV..he was merely upset at the position it put him in with his insurance..i cried allllll day when it happened..it was truly an accident though..i was not driving wrecklessly or impaired or anything..just misjudged my turn space and barely bumped the other car..lesson learned? some people treat "accidents" as if they are "on purpose"...and even the most innocent of unfortunate incidents can be costly....

and of course ask before borrowing..but even still he said he would have said yes and then who's to say the same situation would not have occured??

rmet4nzkx

There are more lessons than that.
Also if you had taken the time to ask before taking the car out you would not have been in the same place at the same time. Was your trip in his car really necessary? So you have the money to make all the repairs"

J

justaskinya

maybe im a bit sensitive this morning but you dont seem like a very nice person..but anyway..there are many lessons but accidents DO happen and to say i wouldnt have been in the same place at the same time doesnt at all mean i wouldnt have had an accident in a different place at a different time..the accident was my fault and i accept full responsibility financially! and the insurance situation is unfortunate and i feel awful about that, but i refuse to beat myself up about it...they are called "accidents" not "on purposes" for a reason... :)

rmet4nzkx

You may not think me a nice person or be sensitive this morning but you must remember that an accident is sometimes just that, in this case it was more than that. You keep dismissing is because it was an accident as if that absolves you or your responsibility and there was nothing you could do to avoid it. I would hope that if you had asked permission to use the car, that you wuld not have had that or any other accident. And if you knew that your brother's insurance would have been cancelled with another accident you might have restricted your driving accordingly. I'm not saying that it was intentional, but it was both irresponsible and unnecessary. In addition, you don't seem to be a safe driver if you go running into other cars while making a turn because you misjudged it. Hoe long have you been driving, how many tickets? If that is unkind, fine, better hearing it here than from a judge when they pull your license or worse someday, that was one reason to see what lessons you learned, unfortunately you have failed to learn much from this experience, that is your greater loss. :(
They are called impacts and collisions not accidents.

Last edited:
J

justaskinya

im sorry..when did i say it absolves me of the responsibility? i believe what i said is I take full responsibility..hmm..and how can you say if i had asked i would not have been in ANY accident? you have telepathy or something? if i had known my brothers insurance situation i would have done NOTHING differently..not because im irresponsible but because i didnt intend to have an ACCIDENT/collision/impact...I have been driving for 10 years and this is my second accident ever and my first at fault accident..and if you dont think theyre called accidents then look around on this board..i guess the majority agree thats exactly what theyre called! no more of this though...does anyone else have any comments on it? if not, then thank you and have a good day. :cool:

rmet4nzkx

YOU said:
"the accident was my fault and i accept full responsibility financially! and the insurance situation is unfortunate and i feel awful about that, but i refuse to beat myself up about it...they are called "accidents" not "on purposes" for a reason..."
While you first accept responsibility by using the word BUT you are denying your responsibility and placing the blame instead on the "accident".

If you have been driving for 10 years, why don't you have your own car and insurance? And if you don't drive regularily that may be a part of the reason your driving skills are weak and you 2/10 year rate even worse.
Many people go their entire lives without having an accident let alone 2 in 10 years. I still don't think you are getting it, Dont' worry there will be others who come along and will tell you the same.

J

justaskinya

"but i refuse to beat myself up about it." not absolving myself but you sound like you want me to slit my wrists over it..i felt bad and do feel bad..but at this point there is nothing more i can do about it beyond taking financial responsibility..why dont i have a car? what difference does that make? i had a car and it broke down but i drove everyday for 10 years until just recently..but i see why you found that relevant..if i had driven 3 times in ten years and had two accidents my record would not be that great..lol many people do go their whole lives im sure..but if the majority did then their would be no need for this website i presume...i didnt intend to get berrated for my experience simply some insight from others..i see you are perfect and are one that has never been in an accident and certainly not one that was your fault so i guess i got advice from the best...thanks! :D

J

justaskinya

OHHHH! nevermind this whole thing! ha ha..silly me! i just did a search on all the threads youve posted replies to and NOW i get it! You're an antagonist! ok ok...well that explains everything!! sheesh....you have a gift my friend..i see from the other threads you just have a way of rubbing people the wrong way...and there i was thinking i was special...lol ok proceed... :rolleyes:

rmet4nzkx

I drove 34 years and milllions of miles without an accident or ticket. I was 1/2 mile from my home when an unlicensed, uninsured illeagal with no seat belts in their Truck ran a stop sign and hit me broadside. That was not my fault, nor was there any way for me to avoid it even though it was not my fault.

YOU could have avoided the collision YOU caused because your driving skills were not up to par or you were not using good judgement. There is a huge difference. This forum is here to give advice re legal questions not to provide excuses or warm feelings for people who feel guilty for things they have done. I hope you would gained some wisdom in the process but apparently that is simply beyond your abilities. Looks like you will be payng a lot of money out and will be without a car for a long time, do you know how to use a bus schedule?

rmet4nzkx

justaskinya said:
OHHHH! nevermind this whole thing! ha ha..silly me! i just did a search on all the threads youve posted replies to and NOW i get it! You're an antagonist! ok ok...well that explains everything!! sheesh....you have a gift my friend..i see from the other threads you just have a way of rubbing people the wrong way...and there i was thinking i was special...lol ok proceed... :rolleyes:
Then you have not had time to read them and have no idea what you are talking about. You could read over 1500 posts in these few minutes and come to that conculsion? All that proves is that you lack far more than a car that runs :D

J

justaskinya

HAAA HAAHA....ok ok...so basically youre bitter because you were hit and you found youre way to this site to berate people who get into accidents..hmm does that make you feel better? and if this site is for legal advice then where's your legal advice? are you a lawyer?? hmm not from what i read on another thread...so save the advice for the experts..and if this site isnt about feelings then keep your bitter opinions to yourself..mean people suck! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">