• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Petty Theft at drug store

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

davy373

CALIFORNIA

2 of my friends I were caught shoplifting from the store. I was working as a cashier and my friends brought a cartfull of stuff (hair gel, condoms). It was obvious I was skipping items and rang them up for a few bucks for instead was actually $150-$250. This falls into the petty larceny category am I correct? After my friends left the store, the assitant managers followed them outside and caught them red handed. They told them to never come to the store again. I was called to the office shortly and the managers told me to go home and that the Store Manager would talk to me later. There was no police citation on the site but there was a camera and computer(checks what i ring up) that saw everything. What happens next? What kinds of questions will the Store Manager ask me when he calls me? This is my first criminal offence and I just turned 18.

*EDIT*
Also I heard that they will process some sort of audit check on me. Sort of like viewing the times I have previously worked and monitor my work.

Last edited:

rmet4nzkx

Yes Davy they will audit you. An they will find the other times you have done this and or made a mistake, it will add up quickly.
California Penal code:section
486. Theft is divided into two degrees, the first of which is termed grand theft; the second, petty theft.
487. Grand theft is theft committed in any of the following cases:
(a) When the money, labor, or real or personal property taken is
of a value exceeding four hundred dollars ($400)

Happy Trails

davy373 said:
CALIFORNIA

2 of my friends I were caught shoplifting from the store. I was working as a cashier and my friends brought a cartfull of stuff (hair gel, condoms). It was obvious I was skipping items and rang them up for a few bucks for instead was actually $150-$250. This falls into the petty larceny category am I correct? After my friends left the store, the assitant managers followed them outside and caught them red handed. They told them to never come to the store again. I was called to the office shortly and the managers told me to go home and that the Store Manager would talk to me later. There was no police citation on the site but there was a camera and computer(checks what i ring up) that saw everything. What happens next? What kinds of questions will the Store Manager ask me when he calls me? This is my first criminal offence and I just turned 18.

*EDIT*

Also I heard that they will process some sort of audit check on me. Sort of like viewing the times I have previously worked and monitor my work.
**They most likely will run some sort of an investigation on how many other times you may have been doing this.

If they do, will they find more evidence of theft on your part?

CdwJava

Well, in CA we can also charge you with burglary (PC 459) and conspiracy (PC 182) to commit the theft, embezzlement, larceny, theft, or burglary.

You can get hammered if they call the cops.

Usually employers opt to simply terminate you. However, if they find that you have likely been giving your pals a lot of discounts, then you may find yourself facing numerous felonies.

Really dumb move. You're not a kid anymore ... it's jail and prison time you are facing, not a slap on the hand and returning to mom.

Carl

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

davy373 said:
CALIFORNIA

but there was a camera and computer(checks what i ring up) that saw everything.

My response:

You knew this beforehand? Even if you didn't, surely you had to have known there was some sort of security.

Boy, somebody is as stupid as a sack of sh!t. Do you think I'm talking about the store?

IAAL

D

davy373

Yes I know it was really stupid on my part of doing this. I'm just trying to minimize the damage. I'm just hoping they'll give me a slap on the wrist. They knew I was going to quit anyways as I will be going to college soon (double stupid). I'm asking others around and they tell me it's very unlikely i'll go to jail and will most likely still go to school. Can the police still cite me for the crime scene even though it was yesterday?

D

davy373

Happy Trails said:
**They most likely will run some sort of an investigation on how many other times you may have been doing this.

If they do, will they find more evidence of theft on your part?
I have done this before and they can find evidence of previous thefts but it would be unlikely because I work there pretty often and they would have to go through hours of looking to find this. The last time I did such thing was a long time ago (talkin months).

CdwJava

davy373 said:
Yes I know it was really stupid on my part of doing this. I'm just trying to minimize the damage. I'm just hoping they'll give me a slap on the wrist. They knew I was going to quit anyways as I will be going to college soon (double stupid). I'm asking others around and they tell me it's very unlikely i'll go to jail and will most likely still go to school. Can the police still cite me for the crime scene even though it was yesterday?
They cannot cite you for the misdemeanor after the fact, but they can submit it to the DA for a warrant for your arrest.

Additionally, if they determine this to be a felony (and I can easily articulate this as a felony), then they CAN arrest you after the fact.

And in any case they can get a warrant.

You had better hope it is not reported to the police because it could be a real big problem.

Carl

D

davy373

CdwJava said:
They cannot cite you for the misdemeanor after the fact, but they can submit it to the DA for a warrant for your arrest.

Additionally, if they determine this to be a felony (and I can easily articulate this as a felony), then they CAN arrest you after the fact.

And in any case they can get a warrant.

You had better hope it is not reported to the police because it could be a real big problem.

Carl
I realize that all those possibilites CAN happen, I'm not saying they won't. But this thing wasn't too big of a thing, but neither was it small. You think they'll go through all the trouble, call the cops, fill out the paperwork, take me court to bust me for petty theft? It's totally up to the store's discretion right? Wouldn't they want to work out a deal and try not to call the cops cause I'm an employee and it would make the store name look bad?

CdwJava

Well, it is up to the store to call the police. If they are getting hammered by employee theft, they might decide to make an example of you. Like I said, you face felonies here - and you and your pals COULD end up being charged with at least 2 felonies for the one exchange that took place.

And you are wrong that "this thing wasn't too big of a thing" - it IS a big thing! And if you keep that attitude you will find yourself in the hoosegow eventually. Unless, of course, theft is ethically okay to you.

To me it is entirely unacceptable.

Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">