• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Parking vs. No Standing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JMBNY

What is the name of your state? NY

I'm wondering if there is a differance between no parking and no standing. If I'm in my car with it running is that parking?

Also, if posted signs say that a parking fine is $25, can the officer charge $75? $25 was also printed on the ticket which the officer crossed out and changed to $75.

CdwJava

The $25 may have been the old fine. And its almost certain that if you cannot park under the no parking sign, you cannot stop and sit under it either.

At least it works that way in most states ... your may be different.

Carl

J

JMBNY

CdwJava said:
The $25 may have been the old fine. And its almost certain that if you cannot park under the no parking sign, you cannot stop and sit under it either.

At least it works that way in most states ... your may be different.

Carl
So why have distinctions like No Stopping, No Standing, No Parking if no parking covers them all?

CdwJava

JMBNY said:
So why have distinctions like No Stopping, No Standing, No Parking if no parking covers them all?
I can only assume that it's to avoid the semantics arguments that we get when people start arguing, "I wasn't parked - I was stopped."

And, at least out here, they are not the same definitions for all offenses. But for the case of parking (such as "no parking" signs), they are synonymous.

Carl

J

JMBNY

CdwJava said:
I can only assume that it's to avoid the semantics arguments that we get when people start arguing, "I wasn't parked - I was stopped."

And, at least out here, they are not the same definitions for all offenses. But for the case of parking (such as "no parking" signs), they are synonymous.

Carl
It seems to me that having the distinctions would lend itself to the "semantic argument." If they're synonymous then how can they have different definitions?

CdwJava

JMBNY said:
It seems to me that having the distinctions would lend itself to the "semantic argument." If they're synonymous then how can they have different different definitions?
Beats me. I don't write 'em, I just enforce 'em. I suspect you would have to inquire with either your state legislature or city council for why the law was written the way it was.

And depending on what you were cited for, it may NOT be the same thing. It's been my experience that in the case of "no parking" regulations in CA, they tend to be synonymous.

I once had a kid pull up on to the sidewalk and park his car there. When I asked him, why? he responded, "There isn't a sign saying I can't."

Signs don't tell the whole story.

Carl

JETX

Per New York 'Department of Finance':
"Stopping prohibited - When stopping is prohibited by signs or rules, no person shall stop, stand or park a vehicle, whether attended or unattended.

Standing prohibited - When standing is prohibited by signs or rules, no person shall stop a vehicle, attended or unattended, except temporarily for the purpose of and while actually engaged in expeditiously receiving or discharging passengers.

Parking prohibited - When parking is prohibited by signs or rules, no person shall stop a vehicle, attended or unattended, except temporarily for the purpose of and while expeditiously receiving or discharging passengers or loading or unloading property to or from the curb."
Source: http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/dof/html/parknyc3.html#2

J

JMBNY

JETX said:
Per New York 'Department of Finance':
"Stopping prohibited - When stopping is prohibited by signs or rules, no person shall stop, stand or park a vehicle, whether attended or unattended.

Standing prohibited - When standing is prohibited by signs or rules, no person shall stop a vehicle, attended or unattended, except temporarily for the purpose of and while actually engaged in expeditiously receiving or discharging passengers.

Parking prohibited - When parking is prohibited by signs or rules, no person shall stop a vehicle, attended or unattended, except temporarily for the purpose of and while expeditiously receiving or discharging passengers or loading or unloading property to or from the curb."
Source: http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/dof/html/parknyc3.html#2

Nice definative answer JETX. Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">