• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Playing Recorded Music during Church Service

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dopravda

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Virginia

Is it legal to play recorded music, such as a CD from a contempory Christian artist in the sanctuary of a church before church services as background music?

Seems to me I recall something about the 2 speaker rule, where if an establishment plays music over a system with more than 2 speakers, then it is considered a rebroadcast, and is subject to paying royalties.

Could anyone point me to the section in the copyright law which would cover this?

Thanks much for your help.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Dopravda said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Virginia

Is it legal to play recorded music, such as a CD from a contempory Christian artist in the sanctuary of a church before church services as background music?

Seems to me I recall something about the 2 speaker rule, where if an establishment plays music over a system with more than 2 speakers, then it is considered a rebroadcast, and is subject to paying royalties.

Could anyone point me to the section in the copyright law which would cover this?

Thanks much for your help.

My response:

There is no such thing in the Federal Copyright Act as the "two speaker rule". The Act is violated when a copyrighted song is played in a public performance. A church is a public place, and you're playing music to that "public". Simply stated, you're in violation of the law since you're not paying for someone else's work.

Next week, I'm taking your car for a long trip, and I'm not going to pay you any rent. Tough, huh?

IAAL

D

Dopravda

RE: Playing Recorded Music during Church Service Reply to Thread

Thanks for the response.

Can you point me to a setion in the code and whre I could possibly find it (like on a website, the FCC, etc?). I am doing research for a new church building and want to ensure all that is done is done legally.

Thanks for your time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">