• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit & Run-Police Practice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LARes

What is the name of your state?Louisiana
Do the police have the right to contact your employer after an accident (charged with hit and run in this case)? Driver fell asleep at wheel, ran off road into state owned chain link fence. Car was a rental car rented in a person's name not company name and was totaled. Only damage was to rental car and fence. Driver waived down a shuttle that took him back to hotel where he was staying and he was going to call insurance/police etc...he also had a concussion. Police caught him leaving scene and followed arresting him for hit and run. They called his employer and this resulted in him being fired. Is this legal? Car was in his name and accident occured on personal time...no link to company. Rental agreement was left in car so he wasn't avoiding responsibility or identification. Help?

J

jrezo

Wow that sucks

Did you talk to your boss.

I also believe that it is invasion of privacy.

why did they call your work?

CdwJava

It might be bad form, but it might not be illegal. I can think of a number of legitimate reasons to call an employer. Without knowing for sure what was said or why the police felt a need to call the employer, it's hard to say what happened.

On the other hand, if the person arrested held a commercial license or was unlicensed, and he drove for the employer, I can see the connection real easily.

Carl

L

LARes

This was my boyfriend that this happened to. He talked to his employer and told him he had an accident but didn't divulge that it was hit/run arrest as he figured not their business, not knowing they had been contacted. They said he lied and they would not stand for it. Employers can fire at will but this was provoked by police contact which is what we are calling in to question.

J

jrezo

thats bullsh*t
I would get a lawyer at least to write a letter to the employer. the lawyer could at least tell you how to go about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">