• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What other remedies besides auto insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

slavanaway

What is the name of your state? California

I bought a new car Saturday and left the lot at 8:30. The next day I parked the car and went in to an event. As I approached my car after the event a person handed me a note and told me they had hit my car. I had the car less than 24 hours when it was hit.

They have insurance and I have insurance so the car will get repaired. I have two concerns and wonder what options I have.

1. The repaired parts age differently. The paint on the repaired part usually does not match the rest of the car after a period of time. I am concerned about resale / tradein value with Carfax so prevalent now.

2. I bought a new car because I wanted to drive a new car not a repaired car. Is there any recourse since the car was less than 24 hours owned. Could I civily sue for (and I dislike even saying this) the loss of the use of a "new" car even if it was not against the car insurance. Say general liability?

Thanks in advance.

S

slavanaway

I think the damage was moderate. The driver fender was dented and pushed in. The headlight unit was pushed in and down, the front metal that attached to the fender was pushed in near the impact point. I don't know if the hood was pushed over and lifted. Not at the 80% that would allow the car to be replaced.

Yhe damage can be fixed. The time I now have to put into fixing my car is not re-imbursed and the "warrantee" of the repair should be extended for the time I own the car as the paint can fade as an example.

I would think a persons "liability" insurance may cover some of the issues past the repair. It may not be worth the time though.l

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">