• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

19 - Still Need Emancipated???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bethmc

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I am 19, and I moved out of my mom's house about 7 months ago, during which time I had a baby. I am currently living with my boyfriend in North Carolina. My dad told me a couple days ago, however, that he is still paying child support on me and needs me to draw up a paper stating that I am emancipated to give to the court. Why should this be necessary?

CdwJava

He shouldn't be paying child support for you after being an adult ... at least I haven't heard of such a thing.

There may be an agreement in the divorce decree that says he has to pay for you until you are out on your own or reach a greater age. Maybe as long as you are a dependent or going to school (college or high school), he has to pay.

You might consider just writing a letter stating that you are living on your own, not going to school, and not receiving monetary aid from mom and dad.

Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">