• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to protect myself

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jimmy740

What is the name of your state?California

It was determind that I ran a red light causing an accident in August 2004. How can I protect my house and other assets in case of a lawsuit? Thanks.

teflon_jones

it sounds like maybe you did enough damage that somebody could win a big lawsuit against you? my advice to protect yourself: don't run a red light next time!!!!!!!! and get yourself an umbrella policy for the future. for this accident, it's too late, you'll have to see what happens. you could always sell all of your assets and move to florida and purchase a house with all of them. florida laws prevents you from losing your primary residence through things like this. otherwise, tough luck!

racer72

The first step would have been carrying sufficient insurance. From your post it would appear you have your state's mandated minimum coverage which in todays world is woefully little coverage. And any attempt to hide assets could result in criminal fraud charges. Your best option is a very good attorney. See one soon.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">