• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tree overhanging onto property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kleighj

What is the name of your state?NC

A tree located in neighbor's yard has large branches which bend and hang over my roof, constantly depositing branches, limbs, etc upon my roof and deck. To date, have sent letter to owner (it's rental property) asking to discuss options to resolve the problem and avoid possible damage to my tree. To date, they have not responded. Since I assume they are not willing to remove the tree, do I have the right to remove the overhanging branches @ my own cost? Am I required to inform them that I am having this done? Are there ways I can protect myself (other than documenting concerns in writing) in the event the tree causes property damage to my roof\home? I've indicated ongoing struggle to keep gutters, deck free of debris (limbs, leaves, etc.)...could this be used in attempt to have the tree labeled as a nuisance and thereby have the matter resolved in small claims court prior to any property damage occuring? Thank you.

HomeGuru

kleighj said:
What is the name of your state?NC

A tree located in neighbor's yard has large branches which bend and hang over my roof, constantly depositing branches, limbs, etc upon my roof and deck. To date, have sent letter to owner (it's rental property) asking to discuss options to resolve the problem and avoid possible damage to my tree. To date, they have not responded. Since I assume they are not willing to remove the tree, do I have the right to remove the overhanging branches @ my own cost? Am I required to inform them that I am having this done? Are there ways I can protect myself (other than documenting concerns in writing) in the event the tree causes property damage to my roof\home? I've indicated ongoing struggle to keep gutters, deck free of debris (limbs, leaves, etc.)...could this be used in attempt to have the tree labeled as a nuisance and thereby have the matter resolved in small claims court prior to any property damage occuring? Thank you.

**A: you are free to cut any piece of the tree that hangs over your property at your cost, as it is your responsibility.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">