• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

school troubles

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

soccermom50

What is the name of your state? Illinois

My son's residency was challenged due to the superintendent being told his parents divorced and we moved out of the district. First off, I was never married to his dad; we cohabitated. A certified letter was sent to my parent's house...which is where I live now out of the district. The certified letter went on to say it was a class c misdemenor for falsifying info so a child to go to school there. We felt discriminated since we were singled out...there are other kids that don't live in the district at all and don't pay tuition. He was saying we would have to pay tuition for him to attend there.

He stays with his dad 3 out of 5 days so he can go to school there. Problem---I don't know how the school superintendent got the address...it wasn't correct anyway...he stated this morning they got it as a forwarding address. From who? I never used my parent's address on anything the school has. I went in with his father to challenge the certified letter. The superintendent stated he didn't think a father was involved. He stated he heard we were divorced and moved. I asked why the letter was not sent to the address on the enrollment form and he couldn't answer.

His dad feels like he has been slandered, I feel like my privacy was violated since someone gave the school the address of my parent's home. The superintendent says no one else was involved. My son can't remember it, so it wasn't him. Shall I file a grievance with the Illinois State Board of Education? It's hard to file a grievance with the school since the principal and superintendent are both involved.

Thanks for any insight.

skyspirit

I had a similar problem with my children's school.

Do they have Open Enrollment?
If they do, open enroll your child.

HERE'S WHAT I DID:

I drew up a letter to the superintendant stating that me and my ex have "shared parenting" and because of that, my children were permitted to attend that school. I also had it notarized with my sig and my ex's sig. From what my attorney told me, you can take a can of beans and call it shared parenting. Check to see if shared parenting is allowed by your district.

Also, another "loophole" for most districts is the "hardship clause" which allows the children to attend school in the other parent's district if you work outside the home and they 'babysit'. I know in the district in my case, they could have attended that school because they stayed with grandma while I worked.

Personally tho, I did the shared parenting letter.
I am not a lawyer--just a mom with the same circumstances.
Good Luck!!

stephenk

what address is listed on the enrollment forms for your son - your's or daddy's? If dad's address is listed, are you listed as the primary parent?

No slander has taken place. Saying you were divorced when you were only shacking up does not diminish your reputation.

No privacy was violated since your parents' address is a public record.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">