• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Incarceration and Social security benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SUZYQ11562

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? PA
Only because I am curious...if a person is incarcerated say for the last 5 months, not for a felony but something kind of minor in the eyes of the court...are they entitled to continue to collect their social security check each month? Does Pennsylvania law have any provisions for that social security money to be turned over to the prison for the room and board of the inmate? I know, it is a strange question but somehow the topic came up at a Labor Day picnic and none of us knew the answer. Thanks

tigger22472

No, they are required to inform SS and the paperwork they send you tells you this and that if you are incarcerated you are not entitled to SS benefits.

S

SUZYQ11562

Thanks for the info. I know it was an odd question but it came up at a Labor day picnic and I was curious. Thanks again

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">