• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Corp & Employee-Small Claims

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Corp & Employee-Small Claims-Auto Accident

What is the name of your state?CA
Just found this forum. Fabulous! Here's the problem:

My step son lived w/his mom and worked for a towing co. Got in accident while working and driving tow truck. Police responded and issued report. He gave police info to employer for their insurance. Shortly thereafter was fired. Then he was arrested for old warrants and spent months in jail. He finally got clean and sober (has been for almost 4 months, thank goodness), attended his court hearings, came to live with us. He's abiding by everything court wanted him to do (i.e., paying fines, attending meetings, community service, drug court). He went to DMV to register a used car he just bought and they told him his license was suspended due to the accident. First we've heard of it.

I went online and found that there is a small claims case against him and the corporation he worked for. He swears he was not served any papers (would've been kind of hard, seeing he was in jail). His Mom says she did not receive any papers either. I don't understand how someone can sue both him and the corp whose vehicle he was driving. His old employer is not going to be much help, I assume. Shouldn't they have just submitted the info to their insurance co. and they would handle it?

I really need some help, as I want him to continue with his sobriety. His mom claims they probably just want him as a witness, and since they couldn't find him in jail, they named him as a defendant. His Mom is not very helpful towards me, step mom, and won't help even though he was living with her at the time this all happened. Any advice or requests for more info would be very helpful. Thank you.

Last edited:

Yay...Results

CA
I really thought my previous post would get some results but that's okay. I enjoy the info I receive thru the other topics.

On a bright note, today was a good day. After interminable hours on the phone, I was able to find out that my stepson was dismissed as a defendant in the small claims court and the judgement was satisfied by his former employer. Also, a VERY helpful rep at CA DMV Financial Responsibility Unit listened to what I had to say and completely restored my son's driving rights/license. I know it's very hard to have their job, but I just needed someone to listen to what my interpretation of the law was, and they agreed! Everyone who posts responses, please keep it up. You really do help a lot of people who don't have the degree to understand the laws of our land. Yay! And for the layperson out there, if you research it and think you're right, spend some time and try to right your situation, as it's not hopeless.

JETX

I just saw your post and was getting ready to respond.... and saw your response that you were able to solve the problem....
Well done.... and congratulations.

Thank you, Jetx

CA
Thanks Jetx, I appreciate the congrats. It felt good to resolve the situation. Curious though, what were you going to recommend? Might there have been an easier way to handle the situation? I like to learn from my mistakes rather than commiserate over them. Thank you for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">